• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cellular Permeability

My high serum B12 seems to indicate impairment in my body's ability to absorb nutrients. For those of you with lab reports, have you found that your B12 is also high (after beginning supplements). I only take 1 mg a day of sublingual methylB12. So.....my latest topic of research is cellular permeability. I want bad things to go out and the good things to go in! I know that phospholipids are key, but I also want to know how impaired methylation and sulfation affect this process. The fact that I am on a "methyl budget" may be important as well.

nanonug

For those of you with lab reports, have you found that your B12 is also high (after beginning supplements).

Actually, my serum B12 levels were actually high while on zero supplements. This probably indicates glutathione deficiency, given how hydroxocobalamin needs to first be converted to glutathionylcobalamin prior to being converted to methyl and adenosylcobalamin.

Rich is the expert and he should be able to give you more info on this, though. And then Fredd will probably disagree! :)

greenshots

My levels were high before and after supplementation. based on dr. vank's data and several other researchers (Yasko, Deth) this often points to a functional B 12 deficiency cuz your cells don't get it, either because it doesn't get a ride where it needs to go (transport) or it can't get into the cell. Cellular permeability is important but alotta the stuff that targets this also goes after the BHMT and you have to be ready for that kind of detox. I'd be careful if your the sensitive type but otherwise, have at it!

Angela

My high serum B12 seems to indicate impairment in my body's ability to absorb nutrients. For those of you with lab reports, have you found that your B12 is also high (after beginning supplements). I only take 1 mg a day of sublingual methylB12. So.....my latest topic of research is cellular permeability. I want bad things to go out and the good things to go in! I know that phospholipids are key, but I also want to know how impaired methylation and sulfation affect this process. The fact that I am on a "methyl budget" may be important as well.