• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Celiac Disease Normal - Gluten Sensitivity Increased in ME/CFS

Gluten/ Celiac diet poll

• I elliminated gluten and my gut and/or other problems got better

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • I eliminated gluten and it had little or no effect on my symptoms

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I suspect I might have problems with gluten but haven't tried eliminating it

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I plan to try eliminating gluten products at some point.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Markers of non-coeliac wheat sensitivity in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.Melanie Uhde1,2,Alyssa C Indart1, Xuechen B Yu1,3, Sophie S Jang1,3, Roberto De Giorgio4, Peter H R Green1,2, Umberto Volta4,Suzanne D Vernon5, Armin Alaedini1,2,3

http://gut.bmj.com/content/early/2018/03/17/gutjnl-2018-316133

This published "letter" reported on celiac disease and gluten sensitivity in about 130 ME/CFS patients. It found increased rates of gluten sensitivity in ME/CFS but not celiac disease. The rates of gluten sensitivity (GS) were not that high (15%) but enough for anyone who has gut symptoms - gut symptoms were correlated with GS in this study - to consider removing gluten products from their diet and seeing what happens.

Accordingly, the algorithm identified one (0.76%) patient with ME/CFS and two (2.3%) control subjects as belonging to the coeliac disease group (P=0.3). In contrast, 20 (15.3%) patients with ME/CFS and 4 (4.6%) control subjects were categorised in the NCWS group (P=0.015). There was also a significant correlation between the calculated NCWS probability and the GI symptom severity total score in patients with ME/CFS (r=0.231, P=0.011).

Our results suggest that there may be a subset of patients with ME/CFS who have sensitivity to wheat and related cereals in the absence of coeliac disease, with potential relevance to some of their symptoms. ME/CFS is recognised as a condition with a spectrum of clinical phenotypes and underlying aetiologies. Characterisation of patients into subsets based on clinical and biological data is essential to gaining a better understanding of the condition and identifying useful biomarkers and therapeutic targets. The results of this analysis provide a rationale for examining the clinical and therapeutic relevance of food sensitivity, particularly NCWS, in the context of ME/CFS in future studies.

msf

The biggest non-drug thing I have discovered is adopting the (non) FODMAP diet, and along with garlic, wheat seems to be one of the worst things on it for me. I have also been tested for zonulin, both after eating wheat and not, and there was such a clear difference it worried the doctor until I told him about the wheat.