1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CDC XMRV Retrovirology Study on CFS Published

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by KFG, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Greggory Blundell

Greggory Blundell *****

New Jersey, USA
    bullybeef, why? I mean I understand the need, the urgency. But would there be a govt body that would mandate that? Give the FDA no recourse but to embrace that course? I appreciate the ethics. My concern is the requisite impartial infrastructure that would make it happen.
  2. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
  3. Otis

Otis Señor Mumbler

USA
    George,

As I read Dr. Vernon's analysis (post 177, I think) sodium heparin viles were used by Lombardi, et al, but not by (at least some of) the CDC cohorts. What study is complete without multiple cohorts?

In response to Chris - while I agree a positive paper needs to meet exacting standards (I've given up on that notion with negative ones) - getting drawn into a protracted "run this test on the (garbage) CDC samples" game is dangerous. At best it takes more time. At worst is leaves nagging suspicion of tampering and the very real possibility that such gamesmanship will drag on indefinitely.

Can't support the idea.

Let our paper go.

Otis
  4. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    You would like to believe the PTB (FDA?) should have been looking into this course of action whilst waiting for the peer review (which seems to have been a complete waste of time now)!! Saying that, wouldn't it be interesting to know when the FDA/NIH study was submitted?
  5. Sean

Sean Senior Member

What George and Bob said.

And kudos to Vernon for speaking out so forcefully.
  6. boomer

boomer Senior Member

I do not think there is going to be panic. Gosh, the information has been floating around the public for a long time. I periodically post to the cbc web site health page so that they know what is coming and to raise awareness to the need of our government to provide more funding. For example, I posted this on the cbc web site health page tonight. No one has ever expressed worry or panic.
    Bravo Stay Tuned I agree with you. A percentage of the money going outside this country should be kept in Canada to look after those with chronic illnesses that are so horrendously neglected and in pain. Those who do not have a life and are not really alive because of chronic fatigue syndrome should stop being neglected by government and research should be funded.

The Centre for Disease Control (CDC) has been holding onto 12 research papers showing a connection between xmrv and chronic fatigue syndrome. There is a huge fight going on right now. Once these get published and the CDC stops holding onto papers that should be shared with other scientists around the world there will hopefully be funding to test for xmrv and at least doctors will be taught the symptoms. There may be new insight into other chronic illnesses and xmrv coming in the future too.
  7. Levi

Levi Senior Member

More unpublished papers?

And your source for this statement is?

8. boomer

boomer Senior Member

Are there 12 papers ?
  9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

LOL. That's what you said. I think that we're only aware of 2 being due.

12 would be an avalanche's worth.
  10. George

George waitin' fer rabbits

South Texas
    There's two from WPI that haven't been published, there are the two referenced by the Ruscetti's, There are three at least from Cold Harbor springs about XMRV in general, one's about the envelope, another about prostate cancer and one about Macrophanges(?). That's 7 that I can think of off the top of my head.

Have you seen any of them published anywhere??????(hopeful doggy eyes???)
  11. boomer

boomer Senior Member

Are there 12 reports or studies done? What do you call the 12 documents I have heard referred to on this site?
  12. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    Boomer,

There has been mention of many papers that are being held up. 12 has come up as the number a couple times.

I'm pretty sure George mentioned 12 according to various sources. This isn't ironclad, I suppose it's hearsay, but most of the hearsay around this story seems to be pretty well backed up.
  13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Sorry Boomer. I thought you were providing us with news.

Rumours can rattle about in here.
  14. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    WHY,
    Why was DR ALTER aloud to speak at the blood conference last month if his paper was so in doubt, his slides were shown. The whole thing confuses me the more I think about it.
  15. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

Alter is from the NIH right?
  16. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    Can I ask you guys in the States, why do you believe the WSJ is running with this story, and why are they the only one? The fact they are privy to the leaked FDA/NIH study, means they could possibly be our joker in the pack! Especially if Alter does change his paper.

I quick XMRV search and I've discovered a new word: Malfeasance - and I kinda like what it implies!!
  17. Otis

Otis Señor Mumbler

USA
    Yes. He and his team discovered hepatitis C. He's definitely no hack.

Here's his wikipedia page.
  18. judderwocky

judderwocky Senior Member

I think they got the leaked study... like we all did... I have a copy of his presentation on my computer.... i think not too many people care about cfs ... hence little coverage... :(
  19. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

I have one word for you: MONEY. The WSJ is known for business reporting but in order to do that well and know which way the wind is blowing before everyone else, they will dig, dig, dig for stories. Where there is potential money to be made or lost, financial reporters will follow.

[Note that in the case of Ampligen, attentive CFS research followers have received news of this not through the scientific press but through the financial press as of late.]
  20. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Minor correction: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is the name of the place where there have been conferences and scientists working on aspects of XMRV. I jut got their latest newsletter, which is vey superficial. Nothing there on XMRV. I think it would take an insider to tell us what is going on.

See more popular forum discussions.