• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC XMRV Retrovirology Study on CFS Published

pollycbr125

FULL TEXT

Absence of evidence of Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-related virus infection in persons with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and healthy controls in the United States
William M Switzer , Hongwei Jia , Oliver Hohn , HaoQiang Zheng , Shaohua Tang , Anupama Shankar , Norbert Bannert , Graham Simmons , R Michael Hendry , Virginia R Falkenberg , William C Reeves and Walid Heneine

Retrovirology 2010, 7:57doi:10.1186/1742-4690-7-57

Published: 1 July 2010
Abstract (provisional)

Background
XMRV, a xenotropic murine leukemia virus (MuLV)-related virus, was recently identified by PCR testing in 67% of persons with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and in 3.7% of healthy persons from the United States. To investigate the association of XMRV with CFS we tested blood specimens from 51 persons with CFS and 56 healthy persons from the US for evidence of XMRV infection by using serologic and molecular assays. Blinded PCR and serologic testing were performed at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and at two additional laboratories.

Results
Archived blood specimens were tested from persons with CFS defined by the revised 1994 CDC case definition and matched healthy controls from Wichita, Kansas and metropolitan, urban, and rural Georgia populations. Serologic testing at CDC utilized a Western blot (WB) assay that showed excellent sensitivity to MuLV and XMRV polyclonal or monoclonal antibodies, and no reactivity on sera from 121 US blood donors or 26 HTLV-and HIV-infected sera. Plasma from 51 CFS cases and plasma from 53 controls were all WB negative. Additional blinded screening of the 51 cases and 53 controls at the Robert Koch Institute using an ELISA employing recombinant Gag and Env XMRV proteins identified weak seroreactivity in one CFS case and a healthy control, which was not confirmed by immunofluorescence. PCR testing at CDC employed a gag and a pol nested PCR assay with a detection threshold of 10 copies in 1 ug of human DNA. DNA specimens from 50 CFS patients and 56 controls and 41 US blood donors were all PCR-negative. Blinded testing by a second nested gag PCR assay at the Blood Systems Research Institute was also negative for DNA specimens from the 50 CFS cases and 56 controls.

Conclusions
We did not find any evidence of infection with XMRV in our U.S. study population of CFS patients or healthy controls by using multiple molecular and serologic assays. These data do not support an association of XMRV with CFS.

WHERE ARE THE POSITIVE STUDIES IM GOBSMACKED :Retro mad::Retro mad::Retro mad:

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
CDC report that the WPI patient cohort was 'atypical' - unlike their cohort and those of the negative European studies.

Probably very true!

pollycbr125

If This has been published today surely the positive ones have to be published too keep your eyes peeled folks looks like its gonna be a busy day ;)

Alexia

Conclusions
We did not find any evidence of infection with XMRV in our U.S. study population of CFS patients or healthy controls by using multiple molecular and serologic assays.
This means they didn't find a single XMRV positive? how is it possible? XMRV exists right? so there should be some XMRV+ even if in a small percentage of the people tested no?

pollycbr125

Do you think the CDC has published first in the hope that the 2 positive studies will quickly take the heat off their failings? makes you think

paddygirl

I might have misunderstood this, but i just saw a statement on the cfids facebook page by the NIH study
prof. Alter? Alder?

Just running out the door to a funeral so can't check, sorry.

pollycbr125

NEWS EMBARGO LIFTED ON PNAS ARTICLES SHOULD BE PUBLISHED AT 3PM EASTERN TIME .http://www.pnas.org/site/misc/journalist.shtml

should be around 8pm uk time

though that does not mean it will be published today .Also could it relate to other papers did they have an embargo on something else . i got all excited for a minute till someone pointed out it might not be our paper

Thanks for tips Pollycbr125 on lift on embargo - good to know others in the UK are up and following as our friends across the pond start their day.

How do you think the lift on embargo works with the statement released by the CFIDS facebook yesterday - claiming that the lead scientist - Prof Atler is holding back from publication to review work?

Do you think the NIH/FDA paper will still be released today?

There is clearly come conflicting messages being communicated.

Thanks again

pollycbr125

Thanks for tips Pollycbr125 on lift on embargo - good to know others in the UK are up and following as our friends across the pond start their day.

How do you think the lift on embargo works with the statement released by the CFIDS facebook yesterday - claiming that the lead scientist - Prof Atler is holding back from publication to review work?

Do you think the NIH/FDA paper will still be released today?

There is clearly come conflicting messages being communicated.

Thanks again

I have just edited my previous post as it has been pointed out to me this could relate to something else and not the me/cfs paper . though I do not know of any other embargo . sorry if ive jumped the gun we will have to wait and see

Stone

I will say it again, "A TEST IS ONLY AS ACCURATE AS THE INTEGRITY OF THE SPECIMEN" The CDC wouldn't know a true case of CFS if it fell on them.

Jerry S

I will say it again, "A TEST IS ONLY AS ACCURATE AS THE INTEGRITY OF THE SPECIMEN" The CDC wouldn't know a true case of CFS if it fell on them.

Yes. In addition, finding 0 positive out of 107 means they simply don't know how to find XMRV. Total incompetence.

lansbergen

Serologic testing at CDC utilized a Western blot (WB) assay that showed excellent sensitivity to MuLV and XMRV polyclonal or monoclonal antibodies, and no reactivity on sera from 121 US blood donors or 26 HTLV-and HIV-infected sera. Plasma from 51 CFS cases and plasma from 53 controls were all WB negative.

251 tested for antibody. None positeve. Looks queer to me.