• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC whistleblower on MMR fraud reveals his identity

natasa778

It looks like he is one of the authors of the original (fraudulent?) study:

DeStefano F, Bhasin TK, Thompson WW, Yeargin-Allsopp M, Boyle C: Age at first measles-mumps-rubella vaccination in children with autism and school-matched control subjects: a population-based study in metropolitan atlanta. Pediatrics 2004, 113:259-266.

ahmo

@natasa778 I've been reading about this in Mike Adams' newsletter the last couple of days. When I search, I can only find 3 other sources covering this story: Health Impact News Daily; Global Research; and Age of Autism. I'm inclined to trust the story, as it aligns w/ my prejudices. But why isn't anyone else picking up on it? Not necess mainstream, but sources such as Guardian or Mother Jones, or others who are into exposing fraud? Any thoughts? thx, ahmo

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@natasa778 I've been reading about this in Mike Adams' newsletter the last couple of days. When I search, I can only find 3 other sources covering this story: Health Impact News Daily; Global Research; and Age of Autism. I'm inclined to trust the story, as it aligns w/ my prejudices. But why isn't anyone else picking up on it? Not necess mainstream, but sources such as Guardian or Mother Jones, or others who are into exposing fraud? Any thoughts? thx, ahmo

@alex3619 found a study: http://www.translationalneurodegeneration.com/content/3/1/16

Sushi

SOC

Seems rather one-sided, actually. The new group analyzing the data is condemned by the author because supposedly only someone with an axe to grind (and hence bias) would bother to re-examine data!
o_O That's some pretty weird-ass logic (if you can even call it logic) there.

JoanDublin

Seems rather one-sided, actually. The new group analyzing the data is condemned by the author because supposedly only someone with an axe to grind (and hence bias) would bother to re-examine data!
Yeah you're right. I did a skim read the first time round but have read it slower this time and it does seem very biased. Kind of a bit glib too

SOC

Even better, the author argues that a re-analysis of trial data basically never results in a contradictory conclusion compared to that of the original researchers :rolleyes:
Since when? Does this author know anything about real research? Not that medical research seems to follow the same ethical patterns as scientific research in other areas.

natasa778

@natasa778 But why isn't anyone else picking up on it? Not necess mainstream, but sources such as Guardian or Mother Jones, or others who are into exposing fraud? Any thoughts? thx, ahmo

I can think of several other hugely important stories that get no, or very limited, mainstream media coverage. Not only health related ones...

natasa778

just read that "... Congressman Posey is setting up press conference for tomorrow."

Hope it does happen and with Thompson himself present!

alex3619

There needs to be an independent investigation, regardless of whether or not the claims are correct. It also needs to be transparent, and with good terms of reference. Limiting the scope of reference to essentially unimportant questions will signal a whitewash. Further, we need other scientists including statisticians to step in and comment.

natasa778

Limiting the scope of reference to essentially unimportant questions will signal a whitewash.

Excellent point.

If the original DeStefano paper was manipulated, there need to be questions raised about other CDC studies that were co-signed by him or Thompson.

There are 10 studies that CDC waves around as 'definitive evidence' of no link btw vaccines and autism. 4 of those studies were co-authored by either Thompson or DeStefano.

Known fraud and international fugitive from police Poul Thorsen co-authored another one.

JoanDublin

This thing is really starting to take legs. CNN did a report on it which has now been removed. The Autism Media Channel web page which apparently had the story first is down. Twitter is fairly hopping with speculation

This thing is really starting to take legs. CNN did a report on it which has now been removed. The Autism Media Channel web page which apparently had the story first is down. Twitter is fairly hopping with speculation
The CNN one was an "iReport" which is stuff submitted by readers and voted good or inappropriate by other readers. So not really an indication of mainstream reporting of the story yet.