1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CDC whistleblower on MMR fraud reveals his identity

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Aug 22, 2014.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
  2. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    It looks like he is one of the authors of the original (fraudulent?) study:

DeStefano F, Bhasin TK, Thompson WW, Yeargin-Allsopp M, Boyle C: Age at first measles-mumps-rubella vaccination in children with autism and school-matched control subjects: a population-based study in metropolitan atlanta. Pediatrics 2004, 113:259-266. [​IMG]
  3. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    @natasa778 I've been reading about this in Mike Adams' newsletter the last couple of days. When I search, I can only find 3 other sources covering this story: Health Impact News Daily; Global Research; and Age of Autism. I'm inclined to trust the story, as it aligns w/ my prejudices. But why isn't anyone else picking up on it? Not necess mainstream, but sources such as Guardian or Mother Jones, or others who are into exposing fraud? Any thoughts? thx, ahmo
  4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    @alex3619 found a study: http://www.translationalneurodegeneration.com/content/3/1/16

Sushi
    ahmo likes this.
  5. JoanDublin

JoanDublin Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
  7. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    o_O That's some pretty weird-ass logic (if you can even call it logic) there.
    natasa778 and PennyIA like this.
  8. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Even better, the author argues that a re-analysis of trial data basically never results in a contradictory conclusion compared to that of the original researchers :rolleyes:
  9. JoanDublin

JoanDublin Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    Yeah you're right. I did a skim read the first time round but have read it slower this time and it does seem very biased. Kind of a bit glib too
    Valentijn likes this.
  10. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Since when? Does this author know anything about real research? Not that medical research seems to follow the same ethical patterns as scientific research in other areas.
    Valentijn likes this.
  11. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

That reminds me of a certain researcher calling requests for data "harassment".
    Valentijn and JoanDublin like this.
  12. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    The guy is desparate.
  13. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    I can think of several other hugely important stories that get no, or very limited, mainstream media coverage. Not only health related ones...
    ahmo likes this.
  14. JoanDublin

JoanDublin Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
  15. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    just read that "... Congressman Posey is setting up press conference for tomorrow."

Hope it does happen and with Thompson himself present!
  16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    There needs to be an independent investigation, regardless of whether or not the claims are correct. It also needs to be transparent, and with good terms of reference. Limiting the scope of reference to essentially unimportant questions will signal a whitewash. Further, we need other scientists including statisticians to step in and comment.
  17. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Excellent point.

If the original DeStefano paper was manipulated, there need to be questions raised about other CDC studies that were co-signed by him or Thompson.

There are 10 studies that CDC waves around as 'definitive evidence' of no link btw vaccines and autism. 4 of those studies were co-authored by either Thompson or DeStefano.

Known fraud and international fugitive from police Poul Thorsen co-authored another one.
    catly, snowathlete and Iquitos like this.
  18. JoanDublin

JoanDublin Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    This thing is really starting to take legs. CNN did a report on it which has now been removed. The Autism Media Channel web page which apparently had the story first is down. Twitter is fairly hopping with speculation
    ahmo and Valentijn like this.
  19. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    The CNN one was an "iReport" which is stuff submitted by readers and voted good or inappropriate by other readers. So not really an indication of mainstream reporting of the story yet.
    SOC likes this.
  20. JoanDublin

JoanDublin Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    @Valentijn Ah I see. I didnt know that about the iReport thing :) Its interesting though that it was taken off and that the Autism Media channel website is down too
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

See more popular forum discussions.