Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CDC study reveals CFS patients are severely physically impaired, but have normal mental health

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Countrygirl, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    http://www.shoutoutaboutme.com/symptoms/cdc-study-finds-cfs-is-physical-not-mental/

Solstice, Mel9, Richard7 and 24 others like this.
  2. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

I would be wary of this shift......

Functional is the new buzz word.

actup, merylg, Aurator and 4 others like this.
  3. geraldt52

geraldt52 Senior Member

After spending 30 years and untold millions of dollars studying, the CDC is now prepared to say that the sun comes up in the east and sets in the west. Thanks, CDC...your competence is unequalled.

Solstice, actup, ghosalb and 18 others like this.
  4. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

I haven't read it but apart from stating the obvious ( to patients at least) is this a nail in the coffin for CBT / GET ?
    And definitely a useful study to throw back at people who claim we are against a label of being mentally ill due to stigma.
    No, its because we aren't.

Solstice, Sean, Aurator and 5 others like this.
  5. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

CBT is still advocated for MS patients, where organic disease is unquestioned. That's the catch in the designation biopsychosocial.

Solstice, Sean, L'engle and 3 others like this.
  6. duncan

duncan Senior Member

I suppose there is both good and bad in this.

One of the bad is that as far as I am aware, cognitive declines fall under the mental health domain. I appreciate that cognitive testing is a blunt instrument, but I challenge that our cognitive deficits truly fall within normal limits.

Sing, Antares in NYC, Comet and 3 others like this.
  7. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    I think he buried the lead.

http://www.meaction.net/2016/03/03/...-may-be-most-comprehensive-and-in-depth-ever/

Comet likes this.
  8. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK

unger2.png

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    Solstice, actup, ghosalb and 14 others like this.
  9. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    I find this interesting:
    According to this definition doesn't brain fog qualify as a mental health issue? My brain fog makes it difficult to do with normal things such as cooking or taking out the garbage. Normal stresses of life make me crash and thus I've had to limit my 'normal experiences'

Brain fog severely impairs my mental function. What am I missing here??

10. Large Donner

CDC latest...

"Functional disorders" are treated with CBT.

Functional disorders are diagnosed when there is no physical organic explanation for the symptoms.

Functional disorders rely on a correct diagnosis of "no organic cause" for the disorder and also on the current limits of medical and scientific knowledge as well as the limits that a health care provider is prepared to test an individual.

Functional disorders also rely on arbitrary measures of false and positive in organic tests to determine an organic disease to disqualify the notion of functional disorder in an individual.

Functional disorders are also subject to the limits of research and funding and the politics in medicine and science to progress the understanding of symptomatic mechanisms in disease.

ScottTriGuy and Zombie_Lurker like this.
  11. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

@Large Donner, the term functional status refers to ability to carry out the tasks of everyday life. Take a shower, clean the house, work or study, buy groceries, have a social life, and so on. It has nothing to do with functional disorders.

Solstice, mango, Riley and 11 others like this.
  12. Large Donner

Yes but if you don't have a mental health diagnosis or an organic proven disease, as according to the CDC, and the very definition of ME/CFS pretty much all around the world exactly who has a functional disorder according those very alphabet organisations?

When a doc tells you you have a functional issues or talks about your functional status in the absence of organic disease it means one thing only.

"Functional" is the third way but has all its routes in neurasthenia, psychosomatic, hysteria, conversion disorder etc etc.

Speak to a neurologist and talk about your functional status being as impaired as someone with MS and that you dont have "objective proof of disease" you will most likely be told to try CBT.

Zombie_Lurker likes this.
  13. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

Look at the image in Simon's post - it states physical functioning on the left hand side and physical, emotional and social role functioning on the right hand side.

These are not referring to a functional disorder imo, they are comparing how people function in different aspects of life.

Solstice, Sea, Sean and 4 others like this.
  14. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    @Simon I would print your chart and hand it to my primary care provider who insists my illness is "primarily psychological" but I doubt she would pay it any attention. Maybe if it were to be published, she might look at it. Maybe.

Has anyone seen any indication anywhere that CDC actually intends to publish something from the multi-site study before the decade is over? We've already been waiting four years...

What is the difference between "Physical Functioning" and "Physical Role Functioning"?

mango likes this.
  15. L'engle

L'engle moogle

Canada
    I find it strange that cognitive functioning and stamina is not a separate category at all on this chart. It's too easy for mental stamina and emotional well-being to being conflated. This could be read as 'ME patients are emotionally sound' or 'ME patients do not have deficits in mental status so should not be viewed as having legitimate cognitive debilitation'.

Kind of dangerous?

16. Asa

Asa Senior Member

Because I wanted to better understand:

http://qol.thoracic.org/sections/key-concepts/functional-status.html

mango, Richard7, Sea and 2 others like this.
  17. Comet

Comet I'm Not Imaginary

18. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    I'm so glad that the CDC decided to get consulting services from Captain Obvious.
    Way overdue!
    [​IMG]

Maybe this is a step in the right direction?

Solstice, actup, ghosalb and 10 others like this.
  19. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    looks like progress.

20. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    I couldn´t have said it better... finally they discovered the elephant in the room!

BurnA and Karena like this.

See more popular forum discussions.