1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CDC study - A pilot registry of unexplained fatiguing illnesses and chronic fatigue syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Looks like they're trying to exclude ME patients. Basically everyone except those with simple fatigue?

MeSci likes this.
  2. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    sorry, it's a little confusing the way it ended up when I pasted it as text.

the fives above hypertension are the people from each referral group which had high CRP. (five from each group).

The hypertension data is:

one from the support group referral and none from the physician-referred group.

however I don't think hypertension is terribly unusual; it's not uncommon in the general population so it would be present to some extent in us in any case. And some kinds of dysautonomia can cause hypertension at least in spikes.

I don't think the people with exclusionary conditions would necessarily be all people who met the CFS criteria.

Little Bluestem likes this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Quite. I also wonder what they define as alcohol abuse. I may drink slightly more than the (current) UK recommendations, but I certainly don't abuse alcohol. I treat it with love and tenderness and try very hard not to spill it. :D

SpecialK82 and Nielk like this.
  4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    One thing which really struck me is that they took out of the enrollment those who have restless leg syndrome too. I would of been taken out of this study 2-3 times over. There is also a ME/CFS subgroup in which the people get osteroarthritis (this ME group is also the ME group with extremely high chances of getting thyriod cancer on top of things).

5. valentinelynx

valentinelynx Senior Member

Tucson
    I, too, was found to have high CRP, and no other diagnosis known. What makes the CDC think that ME & high CRP are mutually exclusive???

WillowJ likes this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I've got high CRP too, as of a month ago. No idea if it's been high as long I've been sick, because that's the first time it was tested. ESR has consistently been high since I got sick.

See more popular forum discussions.