1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
California 2014: IACFS/ME Day Two: Translating Science into Clinical Care: 21 March 2014
Searcher kicks us off on Day Two, with an autoimmunity overview, then we are into immunology and cytokines, we hear from Susan Levine and the allergy-related signatures study done with Lipkin et. al, a talk about paravirus B-19, Mady Hornig from CFI with more research, John Chia who...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CDC replication study delayed in order to prepare a press release?!

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by awol, May 28, 2010.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I'm not so keen on the work of clinicians.

Judy Chalder's work seems heavily based upon her time with patients, and I prefer a more detached view. It's too eeasy to let your personal feelings influence your beliefs about patients.
  2. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    False patient beliefs. Hmmm....sounds like they need some CBT. Or maybe GUT (graded unemployment therapy).
  3. V99

V99 *****

UK
    graded unemployment therapy - isn't that what jailbirds do, with rocks
  4. julius

Canada
    As long as they're unemployed I'll be happy.
  5. jeffrez

jeffrez Senior Member

NY
    They just don't "want" to get better. :sad: They enjoy having their lives and careers destroyed and getting attention from an antagonistic, demeaning doctor's office visit for 10 minutes once every six months or year or two (which they would have times a few hundred thousand or million or billion if they were in the workforce every day, interacting in the world like normal people again). Hmm, wait a minute...
  6. awol

awol *****

Esther12,

With the supposedly objective view, we get Weesley and Huber and the Dutch fraudsters. With the clinicians we get Klimas, Peterson, Bell, Cheney and countless others. They are not expert researchers, but I would take the second group any day. Remember, noone is actually entirely objective. Identifying with the patient is far preferable to treating the real affected people with contempt.
  7. julius

Canada
    Uh...hang on. Esther12 I thought you were talking about the Wesseley school whack jobs. Who is Judy Chalder then?
  8. Dorothy

Dorothy

I think the correct name is Professor Trudie Chalder. She's a member of the Wessely school & is affiliated with Kings College, London.
  9. julius

Canada
    Ok, that's what I thought. CBT and GUT for all of them then!!
  10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Good catch. Thanks.

I suck at names.
  11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi JT1024

I like this view, and have though along similar lines. They may be waiting to be able to give a definitive answer on when someone can start mass distribution of blood test kits to the blood banks, so as to minimize panic.

Bye
    Alex

12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi anciendaze,

Is it possible the message has to go all the way up to the top and then down again? Is the BP fiasco delaying things then?

Bye
    Alex
  13. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    Well, I have seen lots of names on research papers about CFS since October, and not just XmRV stuff. I think we have lots of researchers that believe us and fewer clinicians. As said, only those clinicians that see a bunch of it day in and day out, see the pattern.

But, we do need more researchers. But I think the researchers, who read all the other studies, are ahead in their understanding of the illness compared to the GP on main street.

Tina
  14. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

That is entirely possible. With the BP problem unresolved, plus fears about a meltdown in international finance, and lots of bruised egos after the battle over health care ready to take out frustration on someone, this is not the best time to bring up another problem affecting millions of people with no apparent solution ready. Confidence in leaders and institutions is low. (Even Tipper has lost confidence in Al, what next?)

On the plus side, this is a great opportunity to show leaders getting ahead of the general public in averting potential disaster. I don't think the silence can hold more than about two weeks, so I'm not terribly concerned with consequences of this delay.
  15. Stone

Stone Senior Member

NC
    This thread is so long, so I may have missed something, but is the CDC announcement literally canceled or postponed? Anybody know for sure, or does anyone have a guess as to when it might be?
  16. awol

awol *****

Stone, noone knows anything, sorry.

Tina,

With you on that.
  17. IamME

IamME Too sick for an identity

Chalder / BP

Chalder is just a (mental health) nursey, she doesn't know what she's talking about, but she wrangled a Professorship for use of peacock language and logical non-sequiturs from her master, das Wiesel.

Re the oil spill tragedy: I wonder how long it will be before the oleaginous one gets money thrown at him by BP in order to tell people to stop making a fuss over the spill, quit whining and get back to work. He trundled out after 9/11 to tell people the dust was "safe".
  18. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

May I ask what do you mean by "BP"?
  19. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    I believe it's in reference to British Petroleum and the oil spill; that's capturing a lot of resources and attention.
  20. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

Thanks. Yes, Petroleum is a difficult word to write (therefore I copied and pasted it now... :D).

See more popular forum discussions.