• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC $5.4 million annual CFS budget under threat with proposed funding cuts

Dolphin

Very concerning. I hadn't previously read that the CDC funding was under such a threat.

From an email from Solve ME/CFS Initiative:

"The NIH is facing $6 billion in proposed cuts, nearly 1/5 of its overall budget of $30 billion, if the administration’s proposed budget becomes law. Additionally, the budget eliminates the Prevention and Public Health Fund for the Centers for Disease Control which is the exclusive source of dollars for the only line-item for ME/CFS in the entire budget, at $5.4 million annually. The Solve ME/CFS Initiative is extremely concerned for the future of ME/CFS research if the proposed federal budget is adopted without modification."

Of all the cuts proposed by Trump the NIH cut will probably be the hardest to implement. There will be a lot of protests from "high ranking" people, and probably even from congress.

Dolphin

Source: Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News

Datd: March 29, 2017

URL: http://www.genengnews.com/gen-news-highlights/trump-proposes-immediate-12b-cut-for-nih/81254107

Trump Proposes Immediate $1.2B Cut for NIH

------------------------------------------

President Donald Trump's administration has asked the House and Senate to approve immediate budget cuts of $1.232 billion for the NIH, $314 million for the CDC, and $40 million for the FDA for the current federal fiscal year.

(...)

In its budget proposal for FY2017, The Trump administration additionally proposed cuts totaling $314 million for five spending categories at the CDC. The five include public health programs, which would see $65 million less in FY2017 under the Trump administration proposal.

'This would eliminate or reduce less effective or duplicative research and disease-specific programs such as the Prevention Research Centers, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Cancer Registries, Prion Disease, Injury Control Research Centers, Climate Change, and Tobacco Prevention Research,' the budget proposal stated.

(...)

--------

(c) 2017 GEN

Sean

If the Trump administration's attitude to ME/CFS is anything like its attitude to climate science, and science in general, and the Americans pull out of serious research for us, just as it is getting off the ground, then we are in trouble.

:grumpy: