1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

cd57 count

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by knackers323, Mar 21, 2011.

1. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

anyone had this test and tested low and know what a low count means?
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    cd56 and cd 57 are your natural killer cells, if low means your immune system is down, so your open to infections or have a current chronic infection of some sort, what that infection is requires further investigation which is hard to find a good doc who knows what he is on about.

good luck,
    cheers!!!
  3. FunkOdyssey

FunkOdyssey Senior Member

Yes I'm XMRV+ by VIPdx serology and my CD57 count was 36, normal range 60-360. There's supposed to be a pretty tight correlation between low CD57 count and XMRV (better than Lyme in fact).
  4. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

is this usually found to be low in cfs patients?
  5. FunkOdyssey

FunkOdyssey Senior Member

Yes, see the attached PDF.

Attached Files:

6. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    De Meirleir runs this test on his patients. I have had the test, but not the results yet.

Sushi
  7. insearchof

insearchof Senior Member

I believe that DeMeirleir and also some Spanish scientists, consider it as one of the bio marker/indicators of XMRV+CFS patients. I think he gave a poster presentation or paper on it at one of the conferences, suggesting that these patients have a biological foot print similar that is also similar to HIV patients.
  8. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    my natural killer cell numbers cd56 are within normal range but cd3 which i believe is also an nk cell has always been high, never had cd57 done, my nk function test which was performed by a university cfs study showed my nk bright cell function to be low. Most of my other lymphocytes especially cd8 have remained high (cd3 as well)although have come down with av's and cycloferon. I have been told elevated cd8 can be due to ebv and cmv, but read an article recently saying that cfs patients have low cd lymphocytes??? I dont know if i agree with low, maybe either low or high, both low/high show that our immune system is fighting something. I havent been tested for xmrv yet, maybe i dont have xmrv but fit into dr lerners herpes viral infected sub group, time will tell.
  9. mellster

mellster Marco

San Francisco
    I have read so much now about low cd57 as a marker and possible drugs (rituximab) etc. and was wondering if anybody had high cd57 like me (just outside the reference range) or maybe someone used to have a high count at onset at least. I don't want to open a separate thread for this but it would be good to find somebody who also has a cd57 count in the high range and compare & discuss other lab values. anyone..anyone...bueller? cheers and thanks
  10. determined

determined Senior Member

USA: Deep South
    Hi Mellster
    Sorry, my levels are low....

I'm suprised to hear of someone with cfs with high CD57,
  11. mellster

mellster Marco

San Francisco
    Thanks determined - at least in the lyme world (tested neg. so far) it does not seem to mean much according to these blogpost: http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2009/01/cd57.html
    Also I am sure that even a cfs patient can possibly crank out a few cd57 cells on co-infections, esp. in early onset. If cfs depletes cd57, it is probably a lengthy process and does not happen overnight.

See more popular forum discussions.