May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CBT/GET recoveries

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by heapsreal, Nov 3, 2015.

1. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    With all the articles posted online from experts saying cbt/get improve or help cfsme recovery from this illness, there must be a number of people on this forum, which is probably the most popular involving mecfsers, that have improved/recovered from cbt/get or exercise .

Can those who have significantly improved or recovered with cbt/get or exercise please post here. Also if you had before and after nk function testing or other immune/infectious testing showing improvements , please post.

If whats been posted in studies or in news paper articles on exercis/cbt/get etc etc, we should have a significant number of posts in this thread from people who its helped. And how long people have had this improvement .

Cheers

merylg, leela, L'engle and 16 others like this.
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
  3. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    Remember though Heaps, the problem is that it doesn't work for people who are members of a support group.

Sidereal, CantThink, L'engle and 11 others like this.
  4. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Thats right false illness beliefs ???
    @!#$%÷× tools

minkeygirl likes this.
  5. Ellkaye

Ellkaye

Great post !

Lunatics in London behind Pace. Pure raw lunatics. They have no idea about depression or ME or how to rig a study properly enough... But they know about CFS and inserting 'fatigue' everywhere.

Nutters at best.they are in too deep. The only way to hide is for them to go deeper. They have no choice. They built their careers on this.

Odd and Bizarre goings-on really. Nothing can come near them. They are Untouchable.
    There can be nothing that rivals them. Nothing. No matter what it is.

Patients should not follow the advice of these lunatics. They need to know not to trust these doctors. Or they could end up really sick. It s important they know.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    ahmo and heapsreal like this.
  6. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Just in case someone accuses "Phoenix Rising" of not being interested in cures I'd like to say that these CBT/GET success stories aren't being posted to other UK internet forums either.

Sidereal, L'engle, Valentijn and 5 others like this.
  7. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    So far its easy to add up those who have improved with cbt/get.

L'engle, minkeygirl, SOC and 3 others like this.
  8. Ellkaye

Ellkaye

The end for PACE surely
    It can't stand
    Leading academics have torn it apart

heapsreal likes this.
  9. Countrygirl

Countrygirl I'm with Cheesus

UK
    Pretty quiet on this thread isn't it? :D :whistle:

Shall I give it say..........a couple of years before returning.............just to give a genuine success story time to appear............or would that be too soon????:D:rolleyes:

10. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Maybe there would be more responses if it was titled:

Recovery stories from cbt/get.

Chrisb likes this.
  11. elliepeabody

elliepeabody

East of England
    I hate to rain on your parade OP but I'm not sure how people would know if they have improved or recovered as they are encouraged by the CBT / GET model not to focus on their symptoms. ;)

L'engle, Valentijn, Wildcat and 6 others like this.
  12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Ummm, feelling math challenged. That would be .... ? :nervous: :confused: :D

L'engle, heapsreal and Countrygirl like this.
  13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

We know how this story ends, but let me start by saying I appeared (once upon a time, as all good fables go) to be helped by both CBT and graded exercise.

This was classic CBT. I think it might help some cope, but nothing more. I never tried the new even babblier versions.

I sometimes seemed to be initially helped by very careful graded exercise. I tried this soooo many times. The fact that it took many tries but I eventually gave up tells you something. Back when I was at the lower end of moderate I started walking a few times, not far. Then a short jog. Then before the end of week 2, with having achieved the grand goal of maybe a minute of jogging .... crash. No energy. Could barely stagger along. It took six months to recovery that time. It was my last attempt. Sudden catastrophic failure with huge recovery time is the norm.

Strength training was a bit more successful a few times, but eventually wound up in the same place. Back then though I had no idea how critical it was to avoid any aerobic exercise.

Given what we know about diagnostic error, and exercise physiology, it appears highly likely that any recovery via exercise is in misdiagnosed patients. It would be very nice to get an idea of how many there were like that though.

14. Mij

Mij Senior Member

does this include burlesque? I've heard . . .

Sidereal, L'engle, Valentijn and 8 others like this.
  15. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I think that there is value on understanding the AT and studying if the AT can be increase in CFS via therapy (monitored AT and the whole hooked up to a machine to monitor all BP,HR, Oxygen, CO2....) while exerting (the chosen activity based on current level, so it could be a little as standing/sitting up)

In my humble opinion we cannot get better while having the AT in the floor. But after 2 years of trying I am not sure it can be done. This is where I think the money should go GET/exercise related.

Hutan likes this.
  16. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    In my case exercise has greatly reduced the symptoms caused by muscle atrophy (which is a symptom of CFS).

I've found for strength training particularly helpful. Especially isometric exercises for core and legs using gymnastic rings/suspension trainer. This method uses a minimum of energy

17. Ellkaye

Ellkaye

How do you feel after?

18. SOC

SOC

According to which definition of the illness?

19. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    isometric is not graded exercise. And what's your definition of minimal energy? Thats purely subjective. If you are well enough to hang on rings you're infinitely better than I am.

Does reaching for the remote a few more times each day constitute graded exercises?

L'engle likes this.
  20. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

I think non-aerobic strength and flexibility training is where the exercise physiologists are working toward. In time there will be guidelines.

L'engle, helen1 and SOC like this.

See more popular forum discussions.