The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CBT for IBD - paper in The Lancet summarised on The Conversation

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Kenny Banya, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Kenny Banya

Kenny Banya Senior Member

Australia
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The Conversation article looks at both Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Inflammatory Bowel Disease. However the Lancet paper just discusses the latter. I think you should change your heading in some way.

3. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Oh god, save us all from the powerfully held beliefs of Health Psychologists! Especially those at the lower end of the quality spectrum, whose wild musings can flourish, unchecked by strong research standards.

They think this is all good (hey, if its in your head, you can talk about it and get better, right?). They don't realise the harm they do if the conclusions they draw are incorrect.

What's that quote about the harms inflicted by the well-intentioned?

4. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Worth remembering too that the original Lancet article concluded that CBT had little effect on IBD, except a tiny improvement in self-rated depression.

The evidence for CBT relieving IBD is underwhelming. If anything, outcomes are even smaller than the likely effects of patient self-report bias in these studies.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  5. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

So because adrenaline (and a few other chemicals) affect the stomach the ignore your problems therapy will solve IBD [facepalm]
    This is bad science, it would be akin to saying CBT will cure the common cold and the flu, the success rate will be almost 100%, and they can write editorials about their miracle cure. They better hope that one is not double blind tested :D

CBT for IBD may have some peripheral effects (and spontaneous remission), which i am sure will be considered way out of context as a "cure"

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Invisible Woman and Woolie like this.
  6. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:!

Alvin2 likes this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Just to point out again that the Lancet editorial was on Inflammatory bowel disease, not irritable bowel syndrome

Invisible Woman likes this.
  8. Alvin2

good point, but that makes it even more ridiculous

9. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Yes, of course. I will correct my post.

Dolphin and Alvin2 like this.
  10. Alvin2

ditto

11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Sigh. But fortunately, it seems someone has already pointed out the central flaw in the comments.

Invisible Woman likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.