The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CBT for Depression Losing it's Efficacy.

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by barbc56, Jun 13, 2015.

1. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Did it really ever work, especially in the long term?

The last sentence below is rather a mystery. It's as if they are saying this trend is a negative. The article also states "and now for the bad news". Why are they all so apologetic?

I may be reading way too much into this and have to admit I haven't read the whole study which may put this in context.

Hopefully, this means the science is finally catching up to the reality.
    http://digest.bps.org.uk/2015/06/is-cbt-for-depression-losing-its.html
    Barb

biophile, Esther12, ahmo and 4 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

If the problem is only a lack of motivation, then a motivational technique can be helpful. That a motivational technique fails to cure an actual disease shouldn't come as surprise (there do seem to be some therapists who genuinely believe in mind over matter faith healing though).

Valentijn and ahmo like this.
  3. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Absolutely, As I have said many times and will repeat it here, if it was simply a matter of motivation, I would have been well a long time ago.

Sometimes we do need a gentle push, but then who doesn't whether sick or well?

Barb

4. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    This sounds like the widespread idea (amongst certain medical professionals) that patients should never ever consult the internet. Patients should stay ignorant, as knowledge might negatively influence recovery :rofl::bang-head:

Valentijn, Cheshire, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  5. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    This commenter got it exactly right:

6. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Except for the comment about placebos. I'm not aware of any way to test psychotherapy in a double blinded placebo controlled study. I therefore interpret the comment as wishful thinking about psychotherapy being better than a placebo.

barbc56 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.