Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CBT ‘has no impact’ on juvenile fibromyalgia physical activity (contrasts with subjective outcomes)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia' started by Dolphin, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

People aware of the contrasting results with CBT in CFS, where patients report improvements over control groups without activity increases, may be interested in the following. I don't have the CBT protocol but it sounds like it could be based on encouraging activity.

Article continues at:
    http://www.news-medical.net/news/20...-juvenile-fibromyalgia-physical-activity.aspx

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Here's the abstract - abstracts can be harder to read for some people.

*I gave each sentence its own paragraph

Simon likes this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I was searching for this online and I see that previously released data from the same trial claiming all sorts of success with the treatment - seems very like what happens in ME/CFS

This is their own press release:
    http://www.rheumatology.org/about/newsroom/2011/2011_01_36.asp

*I gave each sentence its own paragraph

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

5. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    That's very interesting, thanks

I wonder if anyone has ever been able to find a correlation between self-reported improvements in functioning and actomters in CBT trials?

FWIW, from the initial study results:
    Just for my notes, more info on the Functional Disability Inventory used to measure self-reported improvements

Dolphin likes this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

I think there's been several negative correlations found (the Dutch CBT trials), but they get buried or dismissed instead of being discussed rationally.

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I presume you are using "negative correlations" in the lay sense? A negative correlation could be a correlation with a negative slope, although I'm guessing that's not what you are referring to.

8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks for pointing this out. The faith some seem to have in questionnaires as a measure of disability does seem worrying. Actometer's aren't perfect either, and probably even less so with FMS than CFS; but if the activity levels of patients were dramatically lower than healthy norms, and were not affected by CBT which is thought to dramatically improve symptoms because of the of the way questionnaires are filled in at the end of RCTs, that would seem to be a problem.

9. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

No, I meant it the other way. I was just wrong :) But yes, I should have said that a lack of correlation has been shown.

Dolphin likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.