1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CBS up-regulating or down-regulating?

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by juniemarie, Jul 25, 2013.

1. juniemarie

juniemarie Senior Member

Albuquerque
    I'm trying to understand this. If my homocysteine is high does it mean the normally up-regulating CBS SNP is down-regulating instead and not creating the Yasko "bath tub" effect but the opposite?

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    The CBS SNP that you have does nothing at all - it won't raise or decrease homocysteine. But you have other SNPs that have been shown to raise homocysteine in various studies.

juniemarie likes this.
  3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    MTHFR polymorphism commonly raises homeocysteine or will put one into the higher levels of normal.

4. juniemarie

juniemarie Senior Member

Albuquerque
    Valentijn I think it has finally sunk in! Thanks for putting me on the right track I read what I could find about it today and it seems MTRR-A66G can be a major contributor impairing the ability to clear homocysteine. Having to do with methionine conversion.So I am going to move on from CBS. Am taking everything I should be taking for CBS and have reduced thiols so going to say bye bye to CBS The only scary thing I read about MTRR A66G is the brain tumor thing.

Valentijn likes this.
  5. Bluebell

Bluebell Senior Member

I thought, "Brain tumor thing, what brain tumor thing?" and so I looked at this--

"The highest risk of meningioma was associated with heterozygosity for both MTHFR variants [odds ratio (OR), 2.11; 95% confidence interval (95% CI), 1.42-3.12]. The corresponding OR for glioma was 1.23 (95% CI, 0.91-1.66).
    A significant association between risk of meningioma and homozygosity for MTRR 66G was also observed (OR, 1.41; 95% CI, 1.02-1.94).
    "Similarly, the AG genotype [of MTRR A66G] was also associated with an increased risk albeit nonsignificantly (OR, 1.21; 95% CI, 0.94-1.55"
    "Our findings provide support for the role of folate metabolism in the development of primary brain tumors."
    http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/17/5/1195.full

Looks like I have an odds ratio of 2.11 for a meningioma from double-hetero C677T/A1298C, plus a 1.23 odds ratio for a glioma from the same, and a bonus 1.21 odds ratio for a meningioma from my hetero MTRR A66G.

I think 23andMe should really have reports available for these genes.

See more popular forum discussions.