• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBS Mutation.. High sulfate but normal Taurine? TOTAL BLOCK?

I am CBS +/+… I just took a Sulfite urine strip test and my level's were >1600 (greater than 1600) the highest reference level it reads. However, Some of my lab's contradict what is seen in CBS up regulation and was wondering if anyone had any insight as how this shakes out.

My homocystine is in the upper normal range

My cystine is right in the middle Normal

Sulfate levels high on urine strip

However, my cystathionine, and I may be wrong one this might need some wisdom on this the test (amino acid blood results) reads >dl for the result (nothing else read's this I think it means low?) But if I'm right how can my cystine be low but cystathionine normal? As cystathionine upstream from cystine.

My ammonia levels are just slightly elevated above the middle still well in reference range

However my Taurine levels are completely normal.. Everything I've read said they should be low?

However even with the "methyl dump" of CBS taking SAM-E even at 100 mg is very stimulating for me. Along with methyl b12 and methyl folate at doses 300 mcg's and up.

I am also confused on why my methionine is higher, and how that relates to the CBS. Because everything on the main cycle is high except for SAME I'm a little confused on where my block is at.

My mutations are as follows…(post viral fatigue since Aug 12' 24 yr. old Male)

+/+ MAO A ….. CBS (C699T) …..SHMT…...

ACAT +/-
--------------------
MTHFR (C677T) +/-
--------------------
MTR (A2756G) +/_
--------------------
MTRR (A66G) +/-
--------------------
MTRR(11) +/-
--------------------
BHMT 2 +/-
--------------------
BHMT 4 +/-
--------------------
BHMT 8 +/-
--------------------
CBS (A360A) +/-

Methylation Pathway Panel

Glutathione (oxidized) 0.58 (.16-0.50)

Glutathione (reduced) 3.8 (3.8-5.5)
----------------------------------------------------

SAM-E… 223 (221-256)
SAH……. 56.4 (38-49)
--------------------------------------------------

5-CH3-THF …….….14.3 (8.4-72.6)

10-Formyl-THF…. 8.5 (1.5-8.2)

5-Formyl-THF…….2.0 (1.20-11.7)

THF……………………0.67(.60-6.80)

Folic Acid…………..16.6 (8.9-24.6)

Folinic Acid (WB)..10.2 (9.0-35.5)

Active Folate…… 361 (400-1500)
----------------------------------------------------

Adenosine ……….26.9 (16.8-21.4)

Borderline high Methionine 3.3 (1.6-3.6) per Amino Acid Plasma

Borderline High Homocystine .41 (<.50)

However my Ammonia isn’t bad 18 (<30)

@DREBS - CBS +/+ does not result in a harmful change in sulfur levels. All of the research shows that this is not the case. Hence any assumptions based on the Yasko theories are likely to be wrong. Sulfur strips are also designed for industrial use, not biological. So it's pretty impossible to make any sense of them, with the possible exception of observing fluctuations.

"<dl" means "below detectable level". Normal homocysteine + low cystathionine + normal cysteine could mean a couple things. One is that your CBS gene may be a bit slow, either due to its SNPs or due to other factors which effect up- or down-regulation of the gene, such as vitamins, etc. But if you have no problem creating cysteine, then that continues to be produced at a regular rate. It wouldn't be much to be concerned about, because it's the cysteine which is needed - cystathionine levels are just helpful in narrowing down problems if there's a cysteine problem (or actually elevated homocysteine).

Another possibility is that it's normal to have low levels on that test. If so, it would say that the normal range starts at 0. Most research into cystathionine indicates that it's high levels which are a problem. Low levels with normal levels of homocysteine shouldn't indicate a problem at all. It's also possible that the sample wasn't preserved or processed quickly enough, allowing time for intermediaries such as cystathionine too much time to be converted into end products like cysteine.

joshi81

@Valentijn Hi, i was wondering.. how it is possible that Yasko is not aware of an eventual mistake of interpretation of CBS ?? In all this time with lots of functional labs she saw (coupled with the genetic testing) is it possible that she did not realize it? Maybe noticing the discrepancy between genetic testing and functional lab findings?

@DREBS Hi,Where did u test ammonia? on blood or on urine? (or it was in the blood aminoacid panel?). Is a reliable "negative" a normal ammonia tested in blood at morning fasting time? i read here in the forum a person who told that to catch his/her hiah ammonia it took several testing and that the morning fasting ammonia was not so reliable ..uff this damned methylation cicle is so difficult to understand :(

anyway merry christmas everybody

@Valentijn Hi, i was wondering.. how it is possible that Yasko is not aware of an eventual mistake of interpretation of CBS ?? In all this time with lots of functional labs she saw (coupled with the genetic testing) is it possible that she did not realize it? Maybe noticing the discrepancy between genetic testing and functional lab findings?
I'm not aware of Yasko publishing any scientific findings on the matter. The confusion seems to arise from Yasko equating research regarding half of the gene chopped off in a bioengineered yeast with the results of having a common allele on a single SNP. It doesn't make any sense.

caledonia

Have you seen Rich Vank's Methylation Pathways Panel interpretation? (see my links). He says if SAM + SAH is below 268 you could have a CBS problem. Yours is above 268.

Also you have the minor CBS mutation, A360A. Generally people with that mutation don't have problems. I've only heard of one case, which is the Heartfixer. Although having BHMTs is supposed to exacerbate the situation and even cause a CBS problem if you don't have the SNP.

Recheck the urine sulfate over several days and see if it stays consistently high, not going up and down. If it stays consistently high, that's an indication of CBS.

Then retry the methyl supps at very very low doses and see if there is a dose you can tolerate. See my Start Low and Go Slow doc for more info.

=-=-=-==
So in my situation, my SAM + SAH was below 268, I had the major mutation CBS C677T plus all the BHMTs. My sulfate was consistently high over several days. My ammonia was normal. I couldn't tolerate methylcobalamin even in a dose as small as 1mcg without getting a stress/anxiety reaction.

So at that point I gave up and did a CBS protocol for three months. I've been able to tolerate up to 50mcg of methylcobalamin since then, the only limitation being the rate of metal detox symptoms (flu-like symptoms) getting too uncomfortable, so I'm holding it to 16mcg. But no more stress/anxiety reaction.

Have you seen Rich Vank's Methylation Pathways Panel interpretation? (see my links). He says if SAM + SAH is below 268 you could have a CBS problem. Yours is above 268.

Also you have the minor CBS mutation, A360A. Generally people with that mutation don't have problems. I've only heard of one case, which is the Heartfixer. Although having BHMTs is supposed to exacerbate the situation and even cause a CBS problem if you don't have the SNP.

Recheck the urine sulfate over several days and see if it stays consistently high, not going up and down. If it stays consistently high, that's an indication of CBS.

Then retry the methyl supps at very very low doses and see if there is a dose you can tolerate. See my Start Low and Go Slow doc for more info.

=-=-=-==
So in my situation, my SAM + SAH was below 268, I had the major mutation CBS C677T plus all the BHMTs. My sulfate was consistently high over several days. My ammonia was normal. I couldn't tolerate methylcobalamin even in a dose as small as 1mcg without getting a stress/anxiety reaction.

So at that point I gave up and did a CBS protocol for three months. I've been able to tolerate up to 50mcg of methylcobalamin since then, the only limitation being the rate of metal detox symptoms (flu-like symptoms) getting too uncomfortable, so I'm holding it to 16mcg. But no more stress/anxiety reaction.

Caledonia… Ok So my posting was a little hard to read I bundled all my +/+ together I have MOA +/+/.…..CBS c699t +/+ and SHMT +/+. My Urine sulfate is high… my Methionine is high… my Homocystine went from 7 to 12. I definitely need to be on the CBS protocol as well as a low methionine diet. Just curious what CBS protocol did you use that helped you??

caledonia

Caledonia… Ok So my posting was a little hard to read I bundled all my +/+ together I have MOA +/+/.…..CBS c699t +/+ and SHMT +/+. My Urine sulfate is high… my Methionine is high… my Homocystine went from 7 to 12. I definitely need to be on the CBS protocol as well as a low methionine diet. Just curious what CBS protocol did you use that helped you??

I used the Heartfixer protocol except I used the Free Thiol diet (much easier than the low sulfur diet), and didn't do any Yasko RNAs. Links to these are in my signature.

Hi,

I know this thread is older, but....

I have CBS++. A NutrEval test shows I had a HIGH need for Glutahione, B12, and even showed I could use some Taurine. This is not what I would expect with CBS++. My urine sulfate test strips range from 400, 800, and slightly above at times. Taurine actually makes me feel good when I take it, and so does Glutathione.

I wonder if my CBS++ is not active, although I carry the defective gene. Therefore, I need glutathione and taurine, etc...

I did have elevated homocystein (high/normal), and high/normal histamine at one time. Both are normal now, but I'm also on high levels of Methyl-B12 due to my MTR++ status.

I'm really confused about my CBS++ and no doctor I know, knows anything about this.

Cheers.

Michael

I wonder if my CBS++ is not active, although I carry the defective gene.
The CBS gene is not defective, at all. The "CBS +/+" SNPs as reported by Yasko and Genetic Genie either have no effect at all, or a small and beneficial effect in the case of CBS C699T.