• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBS C699T Effect on BUN (Urea)

Hello to all , Can I just ask a quest to get started.
I have CBS C699T AG +- Hetero , CBS N212N AG +- Hetero
As I understood this can cause to much ammonia.
Unfortunately here in Belgium MD’s are only willing to do ammonia testing if you have a Hepatic problem.
So I have problems having my ammonia tested.
My question can give my (BUN) blood urea nitrogen me a clue.
Should it read high because much ammonia is produced and thus turned into BUN.
OR can my (BUN) be low-normal bacause the ammonia is not well enough converted to (BUN) because of the SNP’s.
OR in the info sources , when they talk about ammonia do they in fact mean BUN but is the name ammonia more commonly used in the US , even if not the same as Bun Urea.
Thanks for advice.

I have CBS C699T AG +- Hetero , CBS N212N AG +- Hetero
As I understood this can cause to much ammonia.
No, those SNPs don't cause elevated ammonia levels. CBS N212N does nothing at all, and CBS C699T is a very minor upregulation which is beneficial.

No, those SNPs don't cause elevated ammonia levels. CBS N212N does nothing at all, and CBS C699T is a very minor upregulation which is beneficial.
Thanks Valentijn,
At least a good news in weeks of ready just reading bad thinks.
But oeps I made a mistake.
I see now CBS N212N says not genotyped.
But CBS A360A AG hetero.
To be comlete:
rs2851391 CBS A13637G CT +/-
rs1801181 CBS A360A AG +/-
rs706209 CBS C*351T AG +/-
rs4920037 CBS C19150T AG +/-
rs234706 CBS C699T AG +/-
rs12613 CBS G*299A CC -/-
rs706208 CBS T*330C AG +/-
Does that change anything??
Is it so that only C699T AA is a problem??
Best to you.

None of the CBS SNPs listed are a problem. They have a very mild impact, if any at all. It wouldn't be noticeable.

The only problematic CBS SNPs are ones which severely slow down the enzyme.
Should I unterstand "Thus not like Dr Yasko" pretends ?

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
OR in the info sources , when they talk about ammonia do they in fact mean BUN but is the name ammonia more commonly used in the US , even if not the same as Bun Urea.

Ammonia and BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen) are two entirely different tests.

Sorry I don't have any answers regarding how the two may influence one another. For more information see
https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ammonia/tab/test/
https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/bun/tab/test/

Ammonia and BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen) are two entirely different tests. Sorry I don't have any answers regarding how the two may influence one another.
I know they are 2 different things.... but very closely related.
Ammonia (is a compound of nitrogen and hydrogen) NH3, freed for instance when proteins and amino acids are broken down.
As Ammonia is very toxic it is broken down by the live by adding CO2, to make urea (BUN).
So in short Urea (BUN) is the Ammonia already processed by the liver for evacuation via your pee.
The problem is that :
First of all , at least here, MD's and Labs do Urea (BUN) test routinely, it's a very common test.
BUT !! For the ammonia test, you need to have a hepatic issue before MD or Lab want to do it.
Secondly , An Urea (BUN) test is no problem , MD can draw blood and sent to lab. No Problems.
BUT !! Ammonia is very volatile, meaning it needs to be processed almost IMMEDIATELY.
And it is very sensitive, the tube has to be enveloped in aluminium foil to protect it from light.
CONCLUSION: The Urea (BUN) can be done routinely by MD, no problems.
BUT ammonia you need to go the hospital with a good lab.
SO : As Urea (BUN) is the liver processed/Detoxed ammonia I wondered if it was really necessary really do a Ammonia test, or if Urea (BUN) test would be a good start.
THERE WERE 2 options: Or Urea (BUN) is indeed a good start as if ammonia raises, BUN should equally.
Or the SNP's , make a downregulation in the Urea Cycle, making ammonia not being processed as it should making ammonia raising without Urea (BUN) following equally.
BUT If you need ammonia or Urea tested or not.... Depends if you believe in Dr Yasko's theories or not.