1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CBS C699T +/- and p5p

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by pmn, Sep 23, 2013.

1. pmn

pmn

I am +/- for CBS C699T, and everything I have read says to avoid B6, but on the heartfixer website they say P5P form of B6 wont be as much of a problem. I have also read on this forum (annoyingly cant find it now) someone actually recommending P5P form of B6 for CBS folk - saying its actually beneficial. Is this correct? Can anyone provide some evidence or further reading saying P5P is good for CBS + people.

2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    don't have any evidence but for my own experience. The addition of P5P has been a boon for me. I'd taken B6 for years...and finally discovered that this was close, but useless. Adding P5P a year ago, increasing until I had some significant, tho fragmentary, dream recall (3 caps Nutricology P5P). Have you checked for pyroluria, which needs P5P? Here's a questionairre worth taking. That's how I self-diagnosed and treated, finally, once of the underlying components of my condition. Also, doc re pyroluria. Best wishes, ahmo

http://www.hputest.nl/evraag.htm
    http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/images/stories/powerpoints/hpu 2009.pdf HPU doc.

Valentijn and pmn like this.
  3. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

MODS: something wrong w/ Edit function. The box initially shows my post, then goes blank, w/o ability to edit.

4. pmn

pmn

Thanks for the reply, I have been tested for pyroluria about 5 years ago, and came back ok. The only supplements I take at the minute are thorne basic nutrients v and thorne methyl guard plus. I don't really feel any better but if I don't take them I do feel rougher. I am currently fighting h pylori, yeast and the subsequent deficiencies and imbalances those cause. I was hoping methylation supports may help beat them infections but I don't think they are doing much at all, maybe they will if I can get the gut in better shape. I still cant find the original post saying p5p was a good idea for CBS people but I'll keep looking. I also have MTFHR +- and those and the CBS +- seem a bit of a pig of a combination.

5. pmn

pmn

6. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    The confusion arises because some people think that +/+ (upregulation) is extreme and harmful, based on lopping off half of the entire gene in a bioengineered lab yeast. However all research into human beings shows that +/+ is mild and beneficial.

-/- is a slower version, and has a risk of mildly elevated homocysteine attached to it, and increased risk of homocysteine-associated disease. B6 is used to treat more extreme slow-downs of the gene, hence might also help with the milder downregulations.

7. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

pmn, I'm currently detoxxing metals and SIBO, probably candida. I don't think that methylation alone will overcome these issues. I'm using GAPS diet + modified, gentle, detox additions. It's a long process. And I've found that in what's currently an acute detox response, I'm needing massive amounts of K+ andMg, as well as > Se, GABA, glycine. At least I'm finally aware enough that I can self-test and add these supps. For the prior 8 years I had way too little understanding of how much of my symptoms were K+ deficiency. Hope you get the support you need soon. cheers, ahmo

See more popular forum discussions.