• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBS and sulfur veggies, help me make some sense of it!

Hi forum.

So, I recently have been tested and diganosed for double heterozygous MTHFR, but now, I realize that every time I eat a sulfur veggie it sits like a brick and I get an adverse reaction to. I also have some symptoms associated with depleted BH4. Do I likely have a CBS mutation or a "CBS upregulation", both or neither??

So, I plan to eat a low sulfur diet and to do charcoal/ magnesium flushes. My other question is, when do I reintroduce sulfur? And will I ever be able to eat a lot of sulfur veggies again?? I'd like to be able to follow the Wahls' Protocol ideally.

Do I likely have a CBS mutation or a "CBS upregulation", both or neither??
Yes, but only because most people have the CBS C699T upregulation. However, it's a very tiny one, and beneficial as well, so it shouldn't be causing problems with your diet.

So if it shouldn't be causing problems with my diet, then how do you come to that conclusion?

It is causing problems with my diet. And epsom salt baths etc.

So if it shouldn't be causing problems with my diet, then how do you come to that conclusion?

It is causing problems with my diet. And epsom salt baths etc.
Because published scientific research has shown it to be a very mild and slightly beneficial upregulation. Having both a very common allele for a CBS SNP and having sulfur problems does not mean that CBS is required to be the cause of those problems. And the research pretty well disproves the connection.

Something else is causing your problems. CBS is innocent of wrong-doing :D

Because published scientific research has shown it to be a very mild and slightly beneficial upregulation. Having both a very common allele for a CBS SNP and having sulfur problems does not mean that CBS is required to be the cause of those problems. And the research pretty well disproves the connection.

Something else is causing your problems. CBS is innocent of wrong-doing :D

So then what about Dr. Yasko's work? What you are saying is pretty contradictory to what I've read about CBS mutation.

Anyway, I would probably still benefit from charcoal flushes and low sulfur, correct?

So then what about Dr. Yasko's work? What you are saying is pretty contradictory to what I've read about CBS mutation.
Yasko's "work" regarding CBS consists of badly misreading and misinterpreting the research. For some bizarre reason she has decided to equate CBS C699T with the effects of chopping off half the gene or having three copies of the gene (instead of the normal two). I don't know why she has done this, but actual research regarding CBS C699T contradicts her claims.
Anyway, I would probably still benefit from charcoal flushes and low sulfur, correct?
No idea, really. Some people do seem to benefit from avoiding sulfurs, with or without the CBS variations. It probably can't hurt to try, though of course while paying attention to any side-effects and such.

Yasko's "work" regarding CBS consists of badly misreading and misinterpreting the research. For some bizarre reason she has decided to equate CBS C699T with the effects of chopping off half the gene or having three copies of the gene (instead of the normal two). I don't know why she has done this, but actual research regarding CBS C699T contradicts her claims.

No idea, really. Some people do seem to benefit from avoiding sulfurs, with or without the CBS variations. It probably can't hurt to try, though of course while paying attention to any side-effects and such.

So are you saying is that CBS and sulfur are unrelated? And what could be causing my sulfur problem?

Is it possible that I'll be able to add them back slowly after I take a break for a while??

So are you saying is that CBS and sulfur are unrelated? And what could be causing my sulfur problem
I don't know. Maybe it's something else genetic, maybe it's part of a disease process, or maybe it's related to diet or medication.
Is it possible that I'll be able to add them back slowly after I take a break for a while??
No idea ... it's not an area I've looked into.

I don't know. Maybe it's something else genetic, maybe it's part of a disease process, or maybe it's related to diet or medication.

No idea ... it's not an area I've looked into.

I've read that high mercury can be a cause for thiol/sulfur intolerance. My metal test showed high mercury, so there's that.

Gondwanaland

every time I eat a sulfur veggie it sits like a brick and I get an adverse reaction to. I also have some symptoms associated with depleted BH4.
Could you describe the symptoms? Since when do you have them? Have you checked your thyroid beyond T4 and TSH?

Could you describe the symptoms? Since when do you have them? Have you checked your thyroid beyond T4 and TSH?

I haven't checked my thyroid, but that's on my radar.

The thing here is that most sulfur veggies are fodmaps, and I have horrible gut brain issues anyway so any symptoms should be taken with a grain of salt. It seems that I get more reactions when I take in sulfur (cabbage, epsom salt baths, etc.) perhaps due to the mobilization of heavy metals. I posted a new thread about it here. (http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/sulfur-oxidation-or-heavy-metals.34926/) Please post there so we can get a discussion going