Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CBS and sulfur veggies, help me make some sense of it!

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by dobson116, Jan 13, 2015.

1. dobson116

dobson116

Hi forum.

So, I recently have been tested and diganosed for double heterozygous MTHFR, but now, I realize that every time I eat a sulfur veggie it sits like a brick and I get an adverse reaction to. I also have some symptoms associated with depleted BH4. Do I likely have a CBS mutation or a "CBS upregulation", both or neither??

So, I plan to eat a low sulfur diet and to do charcoal/ magnesium flushes. My other question is, when do I reintroduce sulfur? And will I ever be able to eat a lot of sulfur veggies again?? I'd like to be able to follow the Wahls' Protocol ideally.

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Yes, but only because most people have the CBS C699T upregulation. However, it's a very tiny one, and beneficial as well, so it shouldn't be causing problems with your diet.

3. dobson116

dobson116

So if it shouldn't be causing problems with my diet, then how do you come to that conclusion?

It is causing problems with my diet. And epsom salt baths etc.

4. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Because published scientific research has shown it to be a very mild and slightly beneficial upregulation. Having both a very common allele for a CBS SNP and having sulfur problems does not mean that CBS is required to be the cause of those problems. And the research pretty well disproves the connection.

Something else is causing your problems. CBS is innocent of wrong-doing :D

5. dobson116

dobson116

So then what about Dr. Yasko's work? What you are saying is pretty contradictory to what I've read about CBS mutation.

Anyway, I would probably still benefit from charcoal flushes and low sulfur, correct?

6. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Yasko's "work" regarding CBS consists of badly misreading and misinterpreting the research. For some bizarre reason she has decided to equate CBS C699T with the effects of chopping off half the gene or having three copies of the gene (instead of the normal two). I don't know why she has done this, but actual research regarding CBS C699T contradicts her claims.
    No idea, really. Some people do seem to benefit from avoiding sulfurs, with or without the CBS variations. It probably can't hurt to try, though of course while paying attention to any side-effects and such.

7. dobson116

dobson116

So are you saying is that CBS and sulfur are unrelated? And what could be causing my sulfur problem?

Is it possible that I'll be able to add them back slowly after I take a break for a while??

8. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

I don't know. Maybe it's something else genetic, maybe it's part of a disease process, or maybe it's related to diet or medication.
    No idea ... it's not an area I've looked into.

9. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    If your body could tolerate them once, there is hope that you'll be able to tolerate them again. You've ALWAYS had these SNPs; learning about them didn't change their existence.

dobson116 likes this.
  10. dobson116

dobson116

I've read that high mercury can be a cause for thiol/sulfur intolerance. My metal test showed high mercury, so there's that.

11. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    My NP put me on molybdenum for my sulfur issues. I didn't have food problems before I started it.

12. dobson116

dobson116

Were you having any symptoms at all?

13. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Could you describe the symptoms? Since when do you have them? Have you checked your thyroid beyond T4 and TSH?

14. dobson116

dobson116

I haven't checked my thyroid, but that's on my radar.

The thing here is that most sulfur veggies are fodmaps, and I have horrible gut brain issues anyway so any symptoms should be taken with a grain of salt. It seems that I get more reactions when I take in sulfur (cabbage, epsom salt baths, etc.) perhaps due to the mobilization of heavy metals. I posted a new thread about it here. (http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/sulfur-oxidation-or-heavy-metals.34926/) Please post there so we can get a discussion going

See more popular forum discussions.