• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBS+ an underregulation?

Hi,

I am CBS C699T+/+ and A360A+/- according to Genetic Genie. I know what Yasko said in her book about CBS and I've heard various things online about it but then I watched this video: CBS SNP CBS Upregulation CBS and Sulfur - Dr Ben Lynch.

Ben said CBS is an under-regulation in it which was completely the opposite of what I'd been hearing and I want to know what this means. The MTHFR forum seems to be just for 2 MTHFR mutations so I thought I'd start a discussion here about it and CBS in general.

I know very little about exactly how my body is reacting to taking 1 mg of mthf a day, following Fredds protocol with the deadlock quartet, I had a couple of large flushes when I took 500mg of B3 recently which I think means high histamine which I think is supposed to be lowered when methylating and that's about it, I did no testing(money is a problem because I'm still a student). I wonder is that a sign CBS isn't functioning properly or just because I'd not taken PC or mthf at least the last time?

I take electrolytes(K, Mg, Calcium) now which I think I needed before and various other supplements. I started Cutlers protocol before adding those electrolytes and I'm currently on 100mg DMSA: >100mg ALA, sulfer based chelation agents which I've heard don't add to the sulfer pool yet Yasko advises against them. I eat about 80g of protein a day which I've heard on this forum didn't cause the person with CBS+ a problem.

B6 is controversial for CBS but that assumption is based on it being an over regulation. B6 is important for many bodily functions. Taurine is a issue which is less clear, is it needed or not?

Thanks

Valentijn

Ben said CBS is an under-regulation in it which was completely the opposite of what I'd been hearing and I want to know what this means.
CBS C699T +/+ is a mild and beneficial upregulation according to the scientific research examining it. I have no idea what Ben Lynch says about it, or what he means.

alicec

I had a couple of large flushes when I took 500mg of B3 recently which I think means high histamine

That is a normal response to a large dose - the niacin flush. There's no need to assume anything abnormal.

In fact there is no need to assume anything abnormal regarding your CBS SNPs and every reason to disregard most of the nonsense written about them. It stems from a complete misreading of research by Yasko.

dannybex

I agree with @Valentijn and @alicec.

It's unfortunate, to say the least, that Yasko, Roberts (of Heartfixer fame) and Mullans put out this antiquated and incorrect information regarding the CBS polymorphism and that information continues to show up online without being updated or changed in over 10 years. Refusing to correct this has cost a lot of us years of wasted time and worsening symptoms.

Back in November 2014 I asked a question about taurine (a sulfur amino) and CBS on Dr. Ben Lynch's Seeking Health site, as there were some reviews posted that mentioned the Yasko upregulation BS. I got a reply from one of his employees which parroted this info, despite the fact I had seen Lynch say the following on Facebook:

"Absolutely fine to take taurine - it supports magnesium absorption and electrolyte balance. The whole CBS upregulation and reducing sulfur long term is far from safe - or accurate. One needs sulfur - and this little bit of taurine is not going to harm - in fact, it's going to support."

When I pointed this out to the employee, I got this reply:

"My apologies. As we are not licensed medical professionals, we cannot always provide you with the information you are looking for, especially regarding interactions between particular conditions or mutations and supplements. We do the best we can. In this case, Dr. Lynch does disagree with the resource I used when researching my answer. According to Dr. Lynch, taking taurine should not be a problem or cause for concern for individuals with CBS mutations if they need it, noting that many are deficient in taurine (especially if they have GI infections). I hope this helps. Again, I’m sorry that my initial response was not in line with this information. Thank you for your time."

Rosemary Waring and Susan Owens also strongly disagree with Yasko when it comes to the need for sulfur.