• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBD Oil and Rx Drug Interactions?

2Cor.12:9

Hi. Does anyone here know if you can take CBD oil safely without having drug interactions?

Apparently, CBD oil (with or without THC) can have an effect on quite a number of medications (which I take), that may increase toxicity of the medications in the same way that grapefruit interacts with certain meds (only stronger with CBD).
  1. https://www.projectcbd.org/science/cannabis-pharmacology/cbd-drug-interactions-role-cytochrome-p450
  2. https://cbdschool.com/cbd-and-drug-interactions-an-easy-guide/
  3. http://medicine.iupui.edu/clinpharm/ddis/main-table/
  4. https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm292276.htm (
    Grapefruit Juice and Some Drugs Don't Mix)

According to Drugs.com, mixing grapefruit juice with certain meds should never be done even when not taken together at the same time:

"Will taking medications at different times reduce interactions?
Taking medications at a different time from when grapefruit juice is consumed will not prevent the interaction.

The effects of grapefruit juice on certain medications can last for over 24 hours. So, even if the medicine is taken only once per day, grapefruit and grapefruit juice should still be avoided for the entire treatment period.1 In some cases, patients may be able to drink smaller quantities of grapefruit juice, so patients should follow the directions on the patient information leaflet for each individual drug or ask their health care provider."

So, if CBD oil is more potent than grapefruit juice, then it would seem to follow that there might be more cause for concern. I'm consulting my health care provider on this, but just wanted to know if anyone here has had experience with this.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@2Cor.12:9 - I don't know the answer to your question, but it seems the rule of thumb in the first link you provided, to treat CBD oil as if it were grapefruit juice in its potential for drug interactions, would be easy to follow. So I would do a check on the drugs you're taking to see how they interact with grapefruit juice.

I've been using CBD oil for 4 or 5 weeks now to help with insomnia after a taper off of lorazepam, and it's helping. I had to go slow, I was very sensitive to it, and found I do best taking a couple of drops after meals and before bed.

Re CBD oil and THC - everything I read says that CBD oil only has trace amounts of THC, it's negligible, unlike cannabis oil.

BTW, the CBD oil might help you get off the xananx, if you wanted to do so.

Shoshana

Northern USA
I cannot remember the specifics, but when I tried the cbd oil, I did look up interactions with meds, and I think I had found some listed, though like I say, I cannot remember which ones. But I googled to look for interactions between the cbd oil and medications.

Btw, it did not seem to help me at the time, but it does seem worth trying, and I might try it again, at some point in future.

I am glad it helps you, @Mary
I did read the same thing that there is almost none of the thc in it.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Shoshana - why were you taking the CBD oil? My main concern is insomnia, which it does seem to be helping with (as well as several other things I'm taking), though I do have some hip pain when I lay on my side too long, and am curious to see if it will help with that.

Ema

From CBD Oil Review: https://cbdoilreview.org/cbd-cannabidiol/cbd-p-450-enzyme/

Drugs that Interact with Cannabidiol
Any drug metabolized by cytochrome P-450 enzymes could potentially interact with cannabidiol. According to the Indiana University Department of Medicine, drugs known to use the cytochrome P-450 system include:

• Steroids
  • HMG CoA reductase inhibitors
  • Calcium channel blockers
  • Antihistamines
  • Prokinetics
  • HIV antivirals
  • Immune modulators
  • Benzodiazepines
  • Anti-arrythmics
  • Antibiotics
  • Anesthetics
  • Anti-psychotics
  • Anti-depressants
  • Anti-epileptics
  • Beta blockers
  • PPIs
  • NSAIDs
  • Angiotension II blockers
  • Oral hypoglycemic agents
  • Sulfonylureas
Keep in mind that this list does not necessarily contain every medication that could be affected by cannabidiol. Likewise, not every medication in each of the categories listed will cause an interaction. For this reason, you should consult with a medical professional before taking any combination of drugs at the same time, as alternative medications or dosage adjustments may be required. If you are worried that you P-450 enzyme system may not be functioning properly, physicians can test the system to ensure that the medications you take are metabolizing as expected.

Shoshana

Northern USA
I wonder if that list actually applies, to the over the counter CBD oil,
that is only a part of the whole cannibus, and has nearly NONE of the thc, in it.
It seems to me that all the lists I had found were not nearly as long or extensive as this one Posted here. And I know I only looked at excellent, educated, good, credible sources.
Almost no one could take it, if that list truly applies to the type of very weak solution of drops in a base of olive oil, that I had.

Mary, I am having trouble remembering, if it was to help sleep, or lower pain or both, that I tried it.

About that type hip pain, Mary, I tried many things, and the only thing that finally helped that, was memory foam padding.,