1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CBC: No blood from chronic fatigue donors: agency : Your comments are requested!

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Kati, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Kati

Kati Patient in training

CBC (Canadian Broadcast Corporation) has posted this article online and it is now open to moderated comments. Now is the time to voice your opinion and check out the article online- The title is a bit inflammatory (chronic fatigue donors) but in the same time in my opinion, it is giving ME/CFS and XMRV exposure and hopefully attention from scientists and doctors.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/04/07/blood-donations-chronic-fatigue-virus.html

Thank you
  2. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Kati, is that correct? It is NOT open to moderated comments? Or did you mean: It is now open...?
  3. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Sorry Kim, it is!!! I will make the correction- you need to register but worth it...
  4. Koan

Koan Be the change.

What I really like about the way this is being covered is that the reports are NOT going into whether this is a biological illness or a neurotic belief. The pertinent issue now is whether or not it is caused by a virus, XMRV specifically, and not whether or not it is a serious illness. That's a big step in the right direction.
  5. Tammie

Tammie Senior Member

Woodridge, IL
    It wouldn't let me register.....I really wish that someone would point out the fact that CFS and chronci fatigue are NOT the same thing.....I am very glad that they are not allowing people with CFS to give blood, but the darn article (& many of the commetns following, inc one from someone who sounds a bit self-righteous and who "recevoered from chronic fatigue"- definitely not CFS) all just exacerbate the stupid focus on fatigue and increase the confusion abtout he darn name
  6. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    I posted a comment but it's not showing. How long did it take for yours to show up Kati?
  7. Kati

Kati Patient in training

It didn't take mine too long to get posted, 5-10 min?
  8. julius

Canada
    It's up now. Took about a half hour.
  9. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Thanks Kati for posting this, and thanks for your great comment on the website. I just commented with the following:

10. glenp

glenp "and this too shall pass"

Vancouver Canada suburbs
    mine is up too

glenprich wrote:posted 2010/04/07
    at 9:34 PM ETThank God Canada has stepped up to ban the CFS donations. Some news that I am hearing is not accurate - most are too ill to donate and the blood supply has had little chance to become affected. That statement is not accurate, many who suffer with CFS have not yet been diagnosed or wrongly diagnosed. Many have been diagnosed as depressed and other mental illnesses, many who continue to donate blood, unknowing that they even have CFS .

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010...tigue-virus.html#socialcomments#ixzz0kTSRcV3m

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010...tigue-virus.html#socialcomments#ixzz0kTSRfmzK
  11. Kati

Kati Patient in training

That dr Luv the Right is certainly more into the wrong and not doing his homework. Here is what he said:

...and I couldn't help myself but answer- which should be posted in a little bit- the content will be edited with my answer. I understand this has gone way beyond blood transfusion, and partly my fault :innocent1::ashamed:but I have warm blood and I had to vent a bit- after all I am still a rookie, and not planning on being an old timer with this disease.

Am gone to war. With my whole name.
  12. George

George Guest

Kati I wouldn't worry about Dr Luv or whatever, like as not he's just a poster who is trying to start a fight and put doubt into the readers minds. What I'm wondering folks is who has Dr. Paul Jollicoure been talking too(big grins). What where the results of his study??? Mmmmmm? Isn't he speaking at tht next CROI in Prauge? ( grins)

Nice avatar Julious! Want to snuggle?
  13. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Yeah lots of good news to come, that will knock the socks off all these people that think we have false illness beliefs. The poor doctors will need Paxil and Valium when they will need to learn all about CFS.

Did you mean Dr Jolicoeur? It's a french name, it means Pretty heart. ;)
  14. julius

Canada
    I responded to doctor loves Sarah Palin. I tried to be clean, but couldn't help get a little jab in at the end. I hope it makes it in.
  15. Robin

Robin Guest

Yes!!! Along with some other people we know.

http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/sh...-Prague-April-29-May-04-2010.-Can-someone-go-!

April surprise????

ETA: XMRV is NOT on the menu

http://www.crm2010.org/programme/provisional-programme.html

BOO!

See more popular forum discussions.