• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Causes of high arsenic?

alice111

I just got back some test results (fecal metals, UTEE, and HMT) all of which are showing VERY high levels of arsenic. I did these tests through yasko, who is suggesting I test my water for arsenic as these levels are abnormally high. I did test my water a year ago and it was all ok... Where else could I be getting exposure to arsenic?

I am bedridden/housebound so it's definitely not from anything outside my home.

I drink a lot of rice milk and coconut water...
Recently added mineral water?

Mostly though diet has not changed could it be that something is making me not clear it out properly?

Any thoughts would be great!

Last edited:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Rice milk is the obvious one....I stopped eating rice due to the arsenic levels found in sme research, found one source, Californian rice which tested low, however rice milk is probably made from the cheapest available. I e-mailed Alpro who make it for the UK market about the levels of arsenic, they never replied. I tested high on a hair test a few years ago too.

JaimeS

Yup, I'd go with the rice milk.

The only other possibility I'm aware of, apart from a completely natural occurance in the groundwater, is that there is groundwater contamination from using a significant amount of copper arsenate-treated wood nearby, or even (you'd think not, but I read about a Michigan family who did this) using old arsenate-treated wood in a wood-burning fireplace, and inhaling the fumes.

It's illegal to buy arsenic-treated wood for use raised beds and such, but a study I read recently states that the contamination is still significant in wood that was treated 10+ years ago, and it was only outlawed in 2004. It stands to reason that copper arsenate-treated wood is still poisonous for humans.

Still, if your groundwater is clear, it's the rice milk. And I find that quite a bit more likely, actually.

-J

A.B.

Cutler lists arsenic treated wood as source of arsenic. The arsenic in the treated wood is water soluble and comes out easily. A garden growing in a yard where such wood is used will be contaminated. Lead arsenate was once used as pesticide and contaminates current and former agricultural land. Arsenic compounds are used as feed additives for poultry and swine. Arsenic compounds are sometimes used in pottery glazes. Herbal remedies, tea, grains, etc. sometimes contain too much arsenic, especially when they come from developing countries with fewer controls and regulations.

dannybex

Chicken is also typically higher in arsenic, compared with other meats. Also some fish like salmon, tuna, mackerel.

Martial

Realllly...? Even free range organic?

Organic is not as high, but its most dependent on the type of feed they use. There is a chicken feed additive that has the arsenic in it. This is the biggest source of arsenic exposure to chickens, getting into the meat which we eat.

IreneF

The arsenic in rice is concentated in the bran (the brown part). So unless your rice milk is made from brown rice, it should be ok.

Do you take any imported medicines? Ayurvedic and some other traditional treatments often have high levels of metals.

The testing may not be completely accurate, either. All tests have the occasional false positive (and false negative).

aquariusgirl

Could it just be that I am not clearing it out properly?
alice.. this is what I think is going on....I believe arsenic is the first metal you dump when u start cranking the methylation cycle or pulling metals because of adding supports or chelators or whatever.

it was for me if I recall correctly.

I assume I accumulated metals ...I have rock bottom zinc, adrenal fatigue. low aminos on a urine AA test....I think I wasn't making metallotheineins for a long time.

Yasko's comment seems kinda naieve to me..like she doesn't understand the difference v. current exposure and a massive backlog of metals. Just my 2 cents.