Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Causes and consequences of autonomic dysfunction in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (PhD thesis)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Disappointing overall result.

2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

That might have something to do with the test

Valentijn, taniaaust1 and Dolphin like this.
  3. duncan

duncan Senior Member

I think Dr. Baraniuk's (Georgetown University) ANS testing in CFS patients is yielding significantly different results.

4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Yes it looks like this researcher had no idea how to properly test for autonomic malfunctions :( , unfortunately most people will only look at the study results and not why issues werent found.

Valentijn likes this.
  5. Esther12

Esther12

Null results can be useful for letting us know what isn't there.

I've been wondering how much of the positive autonomic results we've seen are secondary to people being exhausted. I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I've read a few non-CFS autonomic papers that have made me think that it's an area where there's less understanding and certainty than I'd assumed in the past. (I've probably become more sceptical of all medical research post-PACE!)

6. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Baraniuk's ANS efforts with CFS patients appear to point repeatedly to POTS and brain stem involvement, if I am not mistaken, and seem to suggest ample differences between HC's and CFS patients in terms of objective metrics, e.g HR and BP etc, before and AFTER exertion in many CFS patients.

See more popular forum discussions.