• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

catalase, S.O.D.

lizw118

Has anyone every tried supplementing catalase or S.O.D.? Based on some reading I have been doing, they seem to be as important as glutathione for clearing toxins from the cells. Has anyone ever had these levels checked, and if so, where they normal?
Liz

nanonug

Has anyone every tried supplementing catalase or S.O.D.? Based on some reading I have been doing, they seem to be as important as glutathione for clearing toxins from the cells. Has anyone ever had these levels checked, and if so, where they normal?

A few years back, I had an Oxidative Stress test (by Genova) showing I was deficient in both glutathione and superoxide dismutase. I currently supplement with acetyl-glutathione and SODzyme (caution, it contains gliadin, a wheat protein known to cause problems for people with celiac disease/leaky gut)

lizw118

A few years back, I had an Oxidative Stress test (by Genova) showing I was deficient in both glutathione and superoxide dismutase. I currently supplement with acetyl-glutathione and SODzyme (caution, it contains gliadin, a wheat protein known to cause problems for people with celiac disease/leaky gut)

Interesting. Did you find that you felt better taking the SOD? Did you have any initial side effects?
Thanks
Liz

nanonug

Did you find that you felt better taking the SOD? Did you have any initial side effects?

I did not feel any kind of immediate improvement. I take it to prevent problems with excessive levels of superoxide, which in turn may lead to elevated levels of peroxynitrate, a very nasty free radical.