• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Castor oil and sleep

SGR

So, I am trying applying castor oil to my head to try to reverse mast cell inspired hair loss and have discovered that it has helped deepen my sleep. It's messy as all get out, but i'll put up with that for sleep. I'll let you know if this side effect persists.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Oh my. I have long hair and washing it even every other day would be quite a project. Although I suppose if I was getting better sleep I would feel more like washing my hair.

SGR

Oh my. I have long hair and washing it even every other day would be quite a project. Although I suppose if I was getting better sleep I would feel more like washing my hair.

Yes, my hair is long too. Somehow I managed to get it all out my first try this morning.

Unfortunately I have to report that it did not help my sleep last night. The CFS thing of adapting to drugs so they no longer work has reared it's ugly head. I just don't understand what biological process this serves. ***Although I do get the mitochondrial teeter-tottering concept.

I will continue to use the castor oil for a few more weeks to see if it helps my hair. For people interested in using it for sleep, my guess is rotating it's use would be the way to go.

Last edited:
So, I am trying applying castor oil to my head to try to reverse mast cell inspired hair loss and have discovered that it has helped deepen my sleep. It's messy as all get out, but i'll put up with that for sleep. I'll let you know if this side effect persists.

Is it cold pressed (yellowish) caster oil? It's been used for years now to transdermally remove some toxins from the liver. Could be drawing out some toxins in your application and that is helping you sleep.