• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cartoon on ME and psychiatrists

Tom Kindlon

I found this on the internet a while back. I think it was originally on the cover of the 25% ME Group magazine http://www.25megroup.org [The 25% ME Group is a UK-based group mainly for those severely affected by ME, which does also have Associate membership for those not severely affected].

It came to mind following the BMJ e-letter from Sean Lynch (psychiatrist) in reply to two of my e-letters (see: http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f5963?tab=responses ). I'd like to reply to it but ideally I'd like at least one other person to reply as he's trying to shut down the discussion.
1450957_596152637109065_1635727554_n_zps8b33c184.jpg

Tom Kindlon

It looks like he's also trying to make a case for more psychologically based studies!
Yes, I think he is:
e.g.
I feel that there is a need for a new debate now. PACE has in my view made an important contribution to the research evidence and has been a well-designed and conducted trial, but there is a need for further research to build on its contribution in my opinion. Some of the concerns previously expressed about the PACE trial at the time of publication, have been about definition of outcome, outcome measures and how applicable the results of the PACE trial are in the “real world” (3,4,5). I think that these concerns might be helpful to consider and might inform the design of future trials of a more pragmatic nature in this area.

Pragmatic trials might have advantages of larger sample size and seeing how well the best- evidenced treatments of that time are applied and fare in real world situations and their cost-effectiveness
etc.

Last edited: