The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Career Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Finances, Work, and Disability' started by dhube32, Jun 22, 2016.

1. dhube32

dhube32

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 22 year old female who has been living with ME/CFS for 12 years now. I've somehow managed to graduate college this past May with a degree in advertising. However, my illness has gotten a bit worse throughout my college years, leaving me feeling like I won't be able to keep up with a full-time job in advertising as the pace is often grueling with many long hours and late nights. Has anyone found a good entry level job that they've been able to hold down with this illness? I've been job searching online for the past few days but am having a hard time finding something that I think may be a good fit. ME/CFS certainly forces you to adjust your lifestyle but I'm hoping I'll be able to work in some capacity.

Any job suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Stay strong,
    Denise

2. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    Can you handle full-time if it's from home? I think many companies need a full-time social media marketing person.

PennyIA likes this.
  3. dhube32

dhube32

Good suggestion! I'll have to be on the lookout for social media positions. They would be a good work from home option.

Thanks!

4. Skippa

Skippa Anti-BS

If you're gonna do that, there are many SMEs that need social media managers/social marketing strategists but they either don't "get it" or can't justify a full time payroll for it yet.

So you could freelance/self employ this for yourself.

However, if you're gonna start a business you'd need to figure out whether you can keep it up with CFS/ME - there's no room for letting customers down here... although I guess the same could be said for any employers.

5. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    This would most likely require you to go back to school for another year but I have found substitute teaching (high school) to be perfect. Shorter days, low stress, lots of holidays and I am free to take time off (without pay of course) whenever I want

6. frog_in_the_fog

frog_in_the_fog Test Subject

California
    I find enough freelance Internet work to get by, but it can be a challenge. You just have to do what you can do.

See more popular forum discussions.