• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cardiology: What Testing May Be Relevant?

Recently twinned Head & Neck MRAs (to rule out stroke pursuant to repeat Hemiplegic Migraines) revealed the incidental finding of severe left subclavian stenosis. I will need to head to a cardiologist for further evaluation, since I have advanced neurological symptoms that may or may not be partially due to “Subclavian Steal”.

I live in Chicago. We have no ME/CFS experts here. I’ve attended the Stanford ME/CFS Clinic and am a patient of Dr. Bonilla. No one has recommended any formal testing related to cardiology or to demonstrate my exertional and post-exertional symptoms.

At the urging of my doctor and loved ones, I will soon begin the process of applying for SSDI. To bolster that and to help me medically, what cardiology-related testing is often (or sometimes) recommended for patients with severe SEID/ME?

jpcv

It depends on your symptoms, I would start with a 24 hour Holter.
Dr Lerner found significant abnormalities I'm many patients. Then a ECO .
If abnormalities are found I would go for a MUGA scan .
If you havery some kind of orthosthatic intolerance, go for a Tilt Test.

It depends on your symptoms, I would start with a 24 hour Holter.
Dr Lerner found significant abnormalities I'm many patients. Then a ECO .
If abnormalities are found I would go for a MUGA scan .
If you havery some kind of orthosthatic intolerance, go for a Tilt Test.

Thanks @jpcv. I’ll be doing Autonomic Testing, tilt table included, on 1/10. I’m unfamiliar with MUGA scans; I’ll go look them up.

MEPatient345

Don’t do the 2 day CPET if you are so severe. It’s really risky. I did it and became bedridden for 2 years. I have never regained the function I had before taking it and I don’t feel I was warned sufficiently about the risks.
This website has a lot of stories about the diff tests you can do. These are a recount of the ones I did:
https://howtogeton.wordpress.com/2017/08/23/iris-gets-tested/

I think for SSDI, cognitive testing and tilt testing would be the best for you. The best thing you can have too is a history of doctors visits and letters. They will probably deny you, and you will probably appeal, and it will take at least 2 years, but once you get a hearing, some of the judges are very fair. In my case the judge gave no weight to the opinion of the social security doctors who said I was not disabled, when reviewed in context of my history of treating doctors saying I was disabled.

Dechi

What about the two-day cardiopulmonary exercise test? I need to be super frank that I cannot imagine how I’d even begin that, much less survive it if I could, given that I now use a walker or wheelchair in the rare times that I leave my bed...but I’m interested in the experiences of my peers!

http://me-pedia.org/wiki/Two-day_cardiopulmonary_exercise_testing

This test is mainly used for insurance/disability purposes. I am moderate and it took me 6-8 weeks to recover. I don’t recommend it to anyone in the severe range.

I did a single cardiopulmonary exercise test, on a bike with Dr. Lapp in Charlotte. (So not two-day.) It demonstrated the very low anaerobic threshold we have and signs of autonomic dysfunction (lower temp during exercise is one finding I recall). I think this test turned out to be important evidence in my disability application.