Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Can't tolerate Vitamin D supplements

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by langdale, Jun 3, 2017.

1. langdale

langdale

United Kingdom
    Did finger-prick blood Vit D test - result 41 (normal over 50). GP did test years back - result 19 - but then went up to IIRC 54.

Would like mine over 100 because so important.

Problem is for years haven't tolerated supplement - some allergic to filler, others filler okay but vit D itself 1,000iu swells brain unbearably.

Don't know why can't metabolize. Can anyone recommend a supplement, what do you take?

Many thanks.

dangermouse and MeSci like this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    A lot of people with ME have Vitamin D intolerance and deficiency - have a look for threads with 'Vitamin' or 'Vitamin d' (depending on what method you use for searching) in the title.

langdale and dangermouse like this.
  3. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Sun exposure? Fermented cod liver oil? Are you trying D3 instead of D?

I'm taking Doctor's Best D3 and have also taken Now Foods D3 with no issues.

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I watched a program the other night that recommended 'sunbathing' your mushrooms in sunlight (crinkly side up) for a couple of hours. Eating just a few mushrooms produces enough daily rec of vitamin D .

They were also recommending to dry them out so that they keep for one year during the little sunlight seasons.

I found this intriguing so read up on it and one site says it produces vitamin D2 which is not the one you want, but I'm not so sure about that.

5. Mij

Mij Senior Member

6. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    I see you have iron overload...

Some people with iron overload produce low levels of the hormone, hepcidin, in the liver.
    Hepcidin regulates iron absorption, and low levels increase it.

Vitamin D tends to lower hepcidin production, thus increasing iron absorption. This can be fine for most people.

Vitamin D may be causing side effects because it is increasing iron absorption.

langdale, Jennifer J and dangermouse like this.
  7. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    I use LEF's liquid drops. 2.000 IU per drop. Personally need about 8.000 IUs to get at least to 60 ng/dl 25(OH)D3 serum level, and developed a severe magnesium deficiency by supplementing at that intake. I suspect a deficiency of one of the cofactors for metabolizing Vitamin D3 in your case too. Get informed and experiment:

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/

caledonia, langdale and Jennifer J like this.
  8. langdale

langdale

United Kingdom
    Thankyou very much for all the useful info, now digesting.

When I lie in sun, no bad reaction like supplements, but problem is can't get out the front door very often. Thinking re. UV lamp.

Mother and two sisters also have ME but no trouble with D3 supplement, don't know why just me. Today took 1000iu, 4 hours later swollen brain, headache, brainfog worse.

Maybe need more magnesium but have problem with fillers in almost all supplements, need one with magnesium and nothing else at all.

Have discovered there are other threads on D intolerance, didn't realise that. But there don't seem to be any clear answers. Anyway, thanks again - much appreciated.

9. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    Since I need more than 2 g of Mg just to avoid muscle-cramps, me too try to get as much as possible naturally. What would be more natural then a mineral water as nature made it, with about 1 g per litre:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donat_Mg

langdale likes this.
  10. langdale

langdale

United Kingdom
    That's really interesting. Thanks!

11. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    I got headaches from D3 softgels, after taking them a while. I use drops now and have no problem. The brand is Mt. Angel Vitamin Company.

See more popular forum discussions.