• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can't take Hot Baths, anyone else?

Okay I have had issues taking hot baths ever since I developed severe chronic fatigue /adrenal fatigue. The only time Did successfully take hot baths was when i was on high-dose hydrocortisone.. when I got below 15 mg Hydrocortisone and took a hot bath then I crashed again for about a month maybe 3 weeks. if I put a heat pad over my adrenal glands for my back, the same thing will happen so obviously I have "adrenal fatigue".

Just seeing if anyone has this exact type of issue directly related to adrenal gland issues which I think is the same or similar to chronic fatigue I think it's adrenal but it's so complicated with everybody's issues. I have weaned off very high doses successfully down to 15 mg hydrocortisone going down about 2.5 mg every nine days was my schedule again the doctor thought you could do it every 3 days but no way that would cause me to crash really bad. Just looking for someone who has similar chronic fatigue issues as me so we can maybe narrow it down and maybe you're getting treatment blah blah blah.

ryan31337

I would consider looking into the signs and symptoms of orthostatic intolerance conditions (e.g. POTS, orthostatic hypotension etc.) and seeing if that is a more specific fit for you.

Baths and hot showers are a complete no-no for most of us with these conditions, the assumption being that heat causes vasodilation, which further impacts dysfunctional circulation.

Many of us with OI go for years not realising the significance of orthostasis and other behaviours that can make us worse. You may not have an issue with OI, but it is something that is becoming better understood and treatable in mainstream medicine and can go a long way to improving QOL - so well worth investigating.

Ryan

Ah,no that is not one of my issues.

No one else is posting on hot baths or heat pads over adrenal area but its early. Im straight adrenal fatigue/ thyroid..

Problem is: hydrocort treatment only stabilizes me at crappy. I still need to rest one full day ( do nothing) to do light duty next day rest another day, then i can drive and do 5-7 things.
H/ C has never put me back to normal. Just keeps me out of a nursing home.

One question I would have is that if heat induced vasodilation where the main issue then cold would have the opposite effect and it wouldn't be a three-week symptom to get over HotPads that is. You just put the cold on and shrink em back to normal.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I don't take baths, but after a nice hot shower I usually crash for a couple of hours. I've learned to build in a period of post-bathing rest into my daily routine! And I don't have any adrenal issues (that I know about)

Seven7

Seven
A no no for OI.
I take them now when I am symptom free and had a few good days as a luxury but still bad idea. And anything that will vasodilation basically. Vasoconstriction good.

Hot baths make me crash, haven't had one for years now. I can withstand a warm shower for several minutes but a hot shower will also make me crash.