1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Can't stand this hairloss

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by drob31, Jul 27, 2014.

1. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

I'm getting diffuse hair loss as one of my hypothyroid symptoms and it's driving me insane. The worst part is the ultra intense itching. It's like the most intense itch I've ever felt and is only relieved by pulling the hair where it itches and 1-5 hairs will come out, thus relieving the itch.

What I can't figure out is the mechanism that causes it. Is it DHT that's causing it? I will slather anti androgens on my scalp if I need to, but I wanted to find out the correct mechanism. Why would hypothyroidism even cause hair loss to begin with? I have some topical spironolactone I can apply to some of the thinner areas, but I want to make sure I'm attacking it from the right angle. It seems to happen in spurts during the day. I can go hours without the feeling, the bam I get an itch every few minutes for an hour or so. I'm guessing I'm losing about 100 hairs a day. Although I have read you can lose 50-100 a day on average....

2. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    B12 and iron deficiency are common in hypothyroidism and that may lead to hair loss.
    Have you ever had your B12 and iron / ferritin / TIBC level tested?

Does alopecia androgenetica (male pattern baldness) occur in your family? If not i wouldn't stress too much about the DHT fact. If you have alopecia androgenetica then you would notice a receding hair line and / or thinning on the vertex of the scalp.

3. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

The hairline isn't receding, it just seems to be thinner evenly, all over. My grandfather had a full head of hair at 74, and my father at 60, now, has a full head of hair, albeit its a bit thin. It doesn't seem to run in my family.

I do have a compound heterozygous mutation for MTHFR, so I've been supplementing with MB12, but I'm not sure if I need HB12 or not.

Iron is the one thing I have not had tested. I actually have the gene that causes hematochomotosis.

4. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

I stopped eating eggs, and started taking 50 mg zinc... other than that, I cannot say what I have changed, besides a new shampoo that has b7 and biotin, but my hairloss has slowed down by about 95%.

See more popular forum discussions.