1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Can't empty bowel? Try coughing!

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by MeSci, Jun 20, 2014.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I discovered by chance recently that a way to speed up a frustratingly-slow bowel movement is to cough or clear the throat. I just happened to cough when stuck on the loo one day - success!

So now when things are taking too long, I have a little cough! :)
    Art Vandelay, natasa778 and maryb like this.
  2. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Good tip! :D
    MeSci likes this.
  3. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    I think this could give you hemorrhoids though? I think it would be like using force, especially the coughing part, not necessarily the clearing the throat.

GG
  4. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    It doesn't feel like it. I think it could help reduce the risk of getting haemorrhoids, as it doesn't seem to involve straining the anal muscles. It feels as though it pushes things along from higher up. You (or I!) don't have to cough vigorously - just gently. I do it quietly behind my hand, as I don't want the neighbours to think I'm choking to death! :lol:

See more popular forum discussions.