1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cannabis oil - TNF inhibitor?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Thinktank, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    I've recently been diagnosed with Crohn's disease and by searching for alternative therapies i came across this video about a lady who went into remission just by usiing medicinal cannabis oil.

One of the things it does is reducing TNF-a which is usually elevated in Crohn's. Some theories say an elevation of TNF-a due to infected macrophages, bacterial toxins or other factors causes Crohn's and other intestinal diseases.

TNF-a is also elevated in CFS so i was wondering if anyone here has tried cannabis oil?
    I'm not talking about smoking pot but real oil extracted from marihuana which i assume is a lot more powerful than smoking pot.

In two months i'll be heading back to the my homecountry the Netherlands where the use of marihuana is "legal". I've never smoked pot in my life which i now regret, maybe i would be a lot more healthy if i did!
    vli likes this.
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I don't know about smoking it being good for your health. Maybe eating it could be a safer way to use it???
    vli likes this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    It should work it a tea as well.
    SickOfSickness and heapsreal like this.
  4. invisiblejungle

invisiblejungle Senior Member

Chicago suburbs

You can also try juicing the cannabis leaves
    SickOfSickness and vli like this.
  5. RichardII

RichardII

Brisbane, Australia
    i use cannabis medicinally for cfs. it's the best thing i have found. i think it is because it decreases TNF. maybe i am that subgroup? Fluge and Mella (excuse spelling) are using Eternacept to decreases TNF. fish oil works well too apparently, a few studies supporting that - but you need to take quite a bit.
    vli likes this.
  6. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    when i was in a state where i could legally access it, juicing the raw leaves was my best-ever treatment.
    very sorry to have made the mistake of moving away from there. zero psychoactive effects, strong pain relief, powerful toxin removal, and immediate sleep improvement. after about six weeks, you realize the pain has gone.
    Iquitos and SickOfSickness like this.
  7. vli

vli

CA
    leela--do you mind my asking exactly what kinds of pain you had? Thank you so much. vli
  8. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    vli, the treatment worked on alll the migrating shooting, tearing, stabbing pains, and on the overall aches and joint pain, though it did nothing for the migraines. still, a remarkable overall improvement on body pain/inflammation.
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Senior Member

Hi @Thinktank, have you heard of an elemental diet?
  10. South

South Senior Member

An easier to get ingredient to reduce tnf-alpha is IP6 (a form of phytic acid). It is sold by various manufacturers as a supplement. Although the bran of certain grains have it, the bran foods have minerals bound to the phytic acid, and may not perform well for this purpose, so people who try this usually buy plain IP6 in capsules or powder, and take it on an empty stomach. I haven't done it though.

Here's a study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18536177
  11. Hip

Hip Senior Member

There are plenty of other TNF-alpha inhibitor supplements to try:

Cat's claw — a remarkably potent inhibitor of TNF-alpha production 1 2

Taurine — significantly reduces TNF-alpha production 1

Vinpocetine — potently inhibits some of the downstream effects of including TNF-alpha. 1

I take 10 to 20 of vinpocetine each day.

See more popular forum discussions.