• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Candida/SIBO

Oci

In that article he cites 67 published studies, but no one of those studies provides any evidence that Candida can cause (or is even linked to) the symptoms that naturopaths often ascribe to Candida, such as fatigue, depression, brain fog, etc.
I haven't checked out the studies but believe you. I think that too many symptoms are attributed to Candida - all sorts of things.
I think testing is key but it is not always accurate or affordable for many. I have had tests done by several different labs over many years and I know that when I do feel fatigue and brain fog and often, but not always, vaginal itch that it has always been confirmed on tests done by Metametrix or Doctor's Data etc.
I have experienced detox symptoms if I take a good dose of anti-fungals although I found Diflucan to be pretty symptom-free.
Are you trying to say that Candida overgrowth problems don't exist?

Hip

Obviously I am not suggesting conditions like vaginal thrush don't exist. And I am not suggesting that Candida overgrowth in the gut never occurs; from this review, you can see that Candida colonization frequently occurs in gastric ulcers and in inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's. In fact, that review says that Candida overgrowth arises where there is inflammation, as inflammation promotes Candida colonization.

What I am saying, though, is that I have never found any studies which have linked Candida overgrowth / colonization to fatigue, depression, brain fog, and all the other symptoms that naturopaths seem to take for granted that Candida causes. So when naturopaths make these bold statements that Candida overgrowth causes fatigue, depression, etc, on what is that based? Where did they get their information?

When you look at all the pathogens that have been linked to ME/CFS, from enteroviruses to Chlamydia pneumoniae, the reason we can say these pathogens are linked to ME/CFS is because studies have found higher levels of these microorganisms in ME/CFS patients (which then of course may lead some researchers to speculate that these microorganisms might be responsible for causing the symptoms of ME/CFS).

However, I have never seen any study that has found higher levels of Candida in patients with fatigue, depression, brain fog, and so forth.

Thank you, this is quite informative.
At the moment there is so much information to absorb; there really isn't a 'one size fits all' solution, and I just need to devise a dietry plan that will work in accordance for me - I suffered with glandular fever as a child, but I always felt as though my immune system has never fully recovered. I currently have hypothyroidism and suspected PCOS, so there's much tailoring to do!

Last edited:

Hip

i disagree with Hip on the candida .

Are you saying that you know of studies which have found higher levels of Candida in patients with fatigue, depression, brain fog? I'd be interested in seeing those studies.