1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cancer & ME/CFS/FM/Lyme

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Raindrop, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior Member

USA
    As though CFS/ME/FM/ Lyme weren't enough, I learned some time ago that I have
    a "rare" systemic cancer. Very concerning given fact that I cannot imagine
    doing chemo/ drug therapy given my *extreme* drug sensitivities. Appreciate hearing from
    anyone especially who HAS cancer of any type along with CFS/ME/FM or Lyme.
    My doctor ignored grossly abnormal immune test results for YEARS!!! I thought
    perhaps they were just another "abnormality" that we come up with on tests. But finally,
    I consulted with an Immunologist to consult; that doctor referred me to Oncologist and the
    long, winding road began there. It's all pretty overwhelming and a bit lonely, given the fact that
    the cancer (only) folks are FAR more functional than I am!! This makes my theory of our
    having a Retrovirus with various "opportunistic" infections and even cancers more likely than
    ever.
    Love to hear from anyone that has any type of systemic cancer as well as CFS/ME/FM/Lyme.
    How were you diagnosed?
    Do you feel that there is a connection between your illness and the cancer?
    Have you begun any type of chemo or other drug treatment?

2. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior Member

USA
    Also forgot to say that a good friend of mine with ME/CFS of about 40 years
    died a few years ago from sudden Pancreatic Cancer. I really think there is a link
    and know that there were some CFS/ME pts with Lymphoma Cancer a while back.
    Wonder how many pts just rub off different symptoms or test results thinking
    they are "just more of the usual abnormalities".

3. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    There have been some people that have ME/CFS that have contracted cancer, but in most of the case that are discussed it was actually the Epstein Barr Virus that can cause a rare lymphoma called Mantle Cell Lymphoma. However, I think I read something recently of a drug approval for Mantle Cell Lymphoma that has a very high remission or cure rate.

See more popular forum discussions.