• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cancer advice needed for my cousin.. sorry off topic..

learner2life

David Pain
I am hoping someone can give some advice to my cousin. She is in really bad shape. She had lukemia when she was 13. She got over that barely and was 4 months ago diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Some of the things the doctors tell her to do and more particularly not do suprisingly don't make any sense. She had a hysterectomy and searched other parts of her body for parts of cancer. They opened her large intestine searching or treating colon cancer. After she has finished with her chemotherapy she has slowly gone down hill. Her red blood cells were low throughout the chemo treatment and resulted in having many blood transfusions. For the last 2 months she has gotten a cold and after talking with her sounds in pretty bad shape. The doctor's don't know what is causing the chronic infection but have done nothing imho to treat her intestines from the surgery, any malabsorption she is having and to keep her antioxidant system functioning well. Their advice was eat lots of fruits and veggies and take a good multivitamin. Now her white blood cells are low and neutrophils?? aswell. She has a very low functioning thyroid always stays cold. Since her ovaries were removed her hormones I imagine are a wreck. She is obese and has followed the customary american diet, until now I suppose. She takes avastin.

I don't like playing doctor but she really needs some help in her recovery. I am planning on writing an email but wanted some ideas. The fact that she wasn't given anything to help heal her intestine makes me believe she is suffering from leaky gut syndrome. So this is what I have come up with so far.

15-20 mg/day (if she can tolerate it) of glutamine. Sacchromyces boulardi to help scavenge pathogens. I was going to advise her to take a d lactate free probiotic from custom probiotics, possibly a high count probiotic. Also ask her to try sauerkraut and possibly make a raw kefir milk from kefir grains.

Her adrenals I'm sure are low functioning. I wanted to include a adrenal protocol to her or variances of it.
Pantothenic acid: 500 mg
p-5-p: 50 mg
Zinc: 10 mg
Copper: 1 mg
Vitamin C: 4000 mg

Or let her take a thorne b complex and then add additional b2 dosages throughout the day and add things from the adrenal protocol to it, such as copper, vitamin c and zinc at different times.

Biotin to help her intestinal health... 2 mg x 2 per day.
Vitamin E at 400 i.u.'s.

I think including a slight variation of the methylation protocol would be helpful too. I don't have any idea about how well or poor her methylation cycles or sulfation cycles are.
Hydroxycobalamin, phosphotidal choline for celllular repair. Her folate is in the thorne b complex.

I think she needs to support her SOD as well and taking selenium to help her thyroid and glut-peroxidase. Maybe in the form of a seaweed or kelp. Then the additional doses of b2 will help with glut-reductase and help reduce coq10 to aid her antioxidant system. Possibly adding a cold pressed non-denatured whey protein 3-4 times per week.

Some of these may increase her detox system. Since she is a cancer patient I thought MCP would be the perfect thing. Since she has such problems getting enough iron I didn't think inositol & IP6 was a good idea. I wanted to avoid a herx reaction at least initially because she is struggling right now.

Mostly I wanted to aid in healing her intestines and get those functioning better and however possible keep her glutathione levels stable.

I don't know too many things about the adrenal glands and thyroid. I didn't think it was a good idea to use grandulars and stuff, not that I am qualified to make that decision. However the vitamin C that is added more than likely won't go to help aid her adrenals but be used in her antioxidant system. I just know that something needs to change for her. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated and sorry for this being off topic of cfs.
David

taniaaust1

I don't like playing doctor but she really needs some help in her recovery. I am planning on writing an email but wanted some ideas.

I hope you dont mind me saying what Im about to say. Are you sure she's wanting people to be giving her advice at this point? I imagine that those with cancer probably get as sick with being given advice on what they should be doing eg "you just need more antioxidants etc etc" as we do when others without this illness start "trying" to be helpful and start saying you should try this and that.

Its possible she may just be wanting someone to just be there for her via just having someone to listen to her feelings over it all.

The fact that she wasn't given anything to help heal her intestine makes me believe she is suffering from leaky gut syndrome. So this is what I have come up with so far.

Digestive issues from surgery are probably far different to what we have with digestive issues from leaky gut which is due to over permeable bowel walls in which tiny food particles leak out. I dont know if bowels scar but if so her issue may rather be scaring and other types of injury there which is different.

Her adrenals I'm sure are low functioning. I wanted to include a adrenal protocol to her or variances of it.
Pantothenic acid: 500 mg
p-5-p: 50 mg
Zinc: 10 mg
Copper: 1 mg
Vitamin C: 4000 mg

Fixing adrenals isnt going to cure cancer (leukemia) so wont fix low white blood cells.

Sometimes people get to the stage where the most useful thing which can be done is just being there for them.

I do feel sad for her and you, my favourite aunt died of leukemia .. she wasnt old.

learner2life

David Pain
Hmm, well. The crazy thing is I don't think she is getting much advice at all really. She listens to the doctors, eat a healthy diet, eat alot of antioxidants and get lots of rest... and don't forget to drink alot of water. I'm fairly confident that is about the extent of from talking with her. I look back at my illness, (mono at 30 years of age) and believe that if I was given more adequate care then possibly I could have come out of it. Some of the the treatment plans advised by doctors were subpar with what needed to happen. There are lots of signals that were completely overlooked nor did they have any idea of how a person can become low on glutathione. In her family, I don't feel she has a person that she can really talk to and rely on, she is in her 40's by the way. But mostly I would like to see her improving and coming out of it instead of getting worse.

I don't have experience with how cancer patients react to chemotherapy but her having some type of infection for about 2 months now and them not being able to come up with a reason sounds like it could be leaky gut honestly. It's pure speculation at this point, I think they should have been able something by now. Also, the other troubling thing is her having so many blood transfusions. The more I learn about the human body the more I cringe at the thought of ever getting one. It's the perfect way to pick up additional viruses and pathogens.

I certainly agree she needs lots of support but more so than that I would like to see her improve. Her being in the state of illness takes me right back to how i felt when I first came ill. Regardless if people are cancer patients or are suffering from chronic illnesses our antioxidant systems are nearly the same, aside from SNP's.

You mentioned why I paid attention to the adrenal glands.. The adrenals play a role in producing ceruloplasmin, this can oxidize iron and allow it to be bound to transferritin, so from there it can be transported into cells and also to the bone marrow where it can make red blood cells. She has problems with low iron, having more ceruloplasmin should help with this.

So, thank you for the input and I'm very sorry to hear about your aunt.
Thank you for the comment about not eating sugar aswell.
David

taniaaust1

I don't have experience with how cancer patients react to chemotherapy

They actually can have better ideas nowdays on how someone will react to certain chemo drugs.. via i think it was some gene testing. (certain genes react more positivity to some chemo drugs then others..some drugs may not work well at all for some chemo patients. These tests are apparently sometimes done before a person starts treatment in some places).

but her having some type of infection for about 2 months now and them not being able to come up with a reason sounds like it could be leaky gut honestly.

Im no doctor but I'd think that if her white blood cells are low.. the infection could just be something which all people carry but which dont usualy dont even cause issues. Its like AIDS patients. they can die from things which most carry in their bodies just cause things reactivate and their bodies are too sick to fight them or could die from something like a common cold. The infections could simply just be due to her white cells being too low (due to cancer?) and what she already (what even healthly people) carries or viruses we are being exposed to all the time..
Her recovery from the infection may not happen until her white blood cells improve and her body hence then better able to fight it. (as I said Im no doctor so this is only my own thoughts).

Also, the other troubling thing is her having so many blood transfusions.

The more I learn about the human body the more I cringe at the thought of ever getting one. It's the perfect way to pick up additional viruses and pathogens.

The blood transfusions probably thou are less damaging overall then the actual chemo itself is.

caledonia

My suggestion would be to go with simple suggestions because she is probably way overwhelmed, plus not feeling well.

So, a good multivitamin such as Thorne Labs which has methylfolate and methylcobalamin (the active forms of folic acid and B12). Probiotics because she was probably on antibiotics due to having surgery. Fish oil for essential fatty acids. Definitely get that thyroid looked after.

She can try green smoothies as an easy way of getting those fruits and vegetables down. Also make sure she's eating some good quality protein with each meal.

Then maybe FIR sauna to get all those chemo toxins out.

Your aunt probably received some very aggressive chemotherapy to treat the ovarian cancer. Chemotherapy not only affects cancer cells but it affects all the healthy cells and it does take quite a while for the body to recover and that includes building the immune system back up. A good nutritious diet is actually a good starting point. Perhaps, she should be seen by a doctor who uses a holistic approach so there can be investigation into what is going on rather than guessing and offering suggestions to her that may or may not work.

Ian

Cancer can only happen if your body is acidic. If I had cancer I'd try vitamin b-17 and probably sodium bicarbonate.

sianrecovery

learner2life, have a look at Sarah Myhill's site and her articles section on cancer - she also has a link to a site called cancer decsions/moss reports which has lots of good, evidence based stuff.

I went thru this with my dad - and I learnt to sift info so he didnt - couldnt - it meant a lot of reading, but it did help. There is also a great book called Managing Cancer Pain and Suffering which is good for the pain management stuff. Will find authors and post again.

Good luck - and at least you are trying! xxxx

learner2life

David Pain
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Since I really know so little about what is going on with her it's probably best I learn more about what cancer patients going thru. Checking Sarah Myhill's articles about cancer patients is certainly a great starting point. I like the idea of the green smoothies as well. I should learn to have more trust in the type of care she receives, I think. I know that her chemotherapy was part of a research trial of new chemo drugs and she responded very well with them. After the new drugs were run she was put on a small conventional chemo regimen, I think once of twice per week.

She was recovering very well the last time I saw her so I was disappointed to learn that she has gotten worse over time. However, from reading so many positive things about saurekraut and fermented foods, possibly even having her try something like a broken down peptide/amino solution that would give her the proteins that she needs without taxing her digestive system. Thanks for the advice.
David

Suggest to her Corinna Borden's website and book on her journey with alternative cancer treatments. http://www.corinnaborden.com/

Corinna should also have a lot of input on diet. The stereotypical poor American diet is like feeding yourself cancer, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease. Oh my, even the healthy foods like vegetables and meat are all tainted with some pesticide or injected with some weird chemical and hormonal concoction. The FDA is like the biggest joke ever, in my opinion. That's the end of my rant... I'm just pretty disgusted with it all, but yeah.

I would also advise her to start looking at the clinical trials lists--I know several people that are alive today thanks to clinical trials.

Best of luck! :)

learner2life

David Pain
Thanks for sharing. I know the American diet is pretty atrocious, what's worse is the fda. But for the sake of my adrenals, not going to get into that.. Not today... ;-) I would like to buy organic vegetables but really can't afford them. I know of some people that grow their own foods and am a little envious. I wish I could do that, but it's not in the cards. I even read where the seeds are bred to have glyphosate in them.. Man.. Thanks for sharing!!

xks201

If cancer only happened in the presence of excess acid vegetarians would never get cancer. But they do. Cancer is most likely just a result of bacterial infection. Nothing really mysterious about it. Combine the infection with not enough anabolic reserve in the form of energy (hormones, etc) and then you die.

baccarat

I
I think including a slight variation of the methylation protocol would be helpful too. I don't have any idea about how well or poor her methylation cycles or sulfation cycles are.
Hydroxycobalamin, phosphotidal choline for celllular repair. Her folate is in the thorne b complex.

If I'm not mistaken, Rich advises against methylation supplements for cancer patients. It may boost abnormal cells division.

Personally I wouldn't touch any supplement (the same supplement may affect different forms of cancer differently) and rather focus on eliminating any source of environmental pollution: indoor/outdoor air, water, food, emf, amalgams, heavy metals... first and then rely on a super healthy diet.

However, I would definitely test my Nagalase and look into GcMAF.

This may be too simple and you may already be aware. But, do you know about aluminun free baking soda and
mollasses?