• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Canada: Meeting with Policy Advisor, Ministry of Health

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
Hi folks,

Yesterday was an important day. Whether it’ll prove to be pivotal remains to be seen.

Yesterday I flew to Ottawa to meet with a Federal Policy Advisor, Dr. Jesse Kancir, from the Ministry of Health to talk about the lack of (zero) research funding for myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), and the harm caused to over 400,000 Canadians living with ME when the medical establishment recommends contraindicated treatment.

I was only able to get a meeting with a Policy Advisor because I have met our new Minister of Health, Dr. Jane Philpott, a few times when our paths crossed during our international HIV/AIDS advocacy and fundraising work. I reached out to Minister Philpott to let her know the plight of Canadian ME patients and yesterday’s meeting was a result of her support.

I invited two other key people to the meeting with greater knowledge and experience with ME policy, research and treatment: the President of the National ME Action Network (Margaret Parlor), and the leading Canadian ME doctor (Dr. Alison Bested). Dr. Bested called in from Florida where she is collaborating with leading US researchers. The unexpected release of a Supreme Court Decision yesterday demanded time and energy from Dr. Rancir, but he still honoured his commitment to our meeting.

A few days prior to the meeting I sent Dr. Kancir a document I called ‘Living with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis in Canada - Patient Perspective’, (attached) that I wrote with the support of other Canadian ME patients @oldbones @katiissick and others. It basically has 3 sections: stop the harm (caused by zero research and harmful ‘treatments’), start the research (funded commensurate with severity and prevalence), and start the treatment (testing and treatment access).

I began by telling my narrative and experiences with the health care system, as a person living with HIV and living with ME. I shared how I was diagnosed with HIV in 1998, for which effective treatment had just been developed by research. How I was only alive because of these medications, and with that came the recognition that millions of people in sub-Saharan Africa were dying needlessly because they did not have access to HIV treatment.

I shared how, morally and ethically, I had to take action. To that end, I founded the Race for Dignity fundraising events and worked with prominent Canadians, Dr. James Orbinski and James Fraser, the co-founders of Dignitas International, to bring access to HIV medications to communities in Malawi. I also shared how I currently work in HIV research at the AIDS Committee of Toronto and with Dr. Trevor Hart’s HIV Prevention Lab at Ryerson University.

I contrasted my experiences with HIV in the health care system, to ME in the health care system. The former (eventually) had focused leadership to intervene in research and health care. Because of that leadership and intervention, HIV is now a chronic, manageable condition, and no longer a death sentence.

But with ME, there is no research, no diagnosis, no access to relevant tests, no access to proper treatment, no hope to escape the suffering of an untreated chronic illness. (This is why I included the quote; “I wish they would stop calling us ‘ME patients’, it implies we receive medical care” in the Patient Perspective.)

I shared that I felt the same ethical and moral pull to take action for Canadian ME patients as I did for African HIV patients.

I explained that there was hope: researchers in Norway are using the cancer drug Rituximab with ME patients, and there is about a 66% response rate. But Canadian ME patients can’t access Rituximab as an off-label medication, and of course there are no Canadian research studies using Rituximab in ME patients, because there is no ME research funding.

I then disclosed that I had been recently diagnosed with a high-grade squamous lesion on my colon. So now, as a Canadian living with ME, my health choice is to either treat the lesion with a simple, safe procedure, or wait, hope the lesion turns into cancer, so I can maybe get access to Rituximab to treat both cancer and ME. I stressed how currently the only hope for treatment for Canadian ME patients was to hope for cancer.

Dr. Bested then spoke to the challenges in research and treatment, and Margaret Parlor spoke to the statistics that expose the unmet health care needs of ME patients. As a next step, Dr. Rancir asked us to provide an outline of what is expected of the Ministry of Health to make progress on biomedical ME research.

As the meeting ended, I also shared with Dr. Kancir my passion for triathlons - that I was the first person living with HIV to compete at the triathlon world championships and had represented Canada 3 times at the triathlon world champs. The last time I was well enough to race a triathlon was 2014. The medals from those last few triathlon races hold a lot of meaning for me.

As a reminder of what I was capable of before I got sick with ME, what I hope to be able to do again, and the critical importance of taking action, I gave Dr. Kancir my first place medal from the Wasaga Beach triathlon in 2014.

______________________________________________________________________________________

It may be helpful if Minister Philpott receives positive feedback for this opportunity to inform the new government of the health care needs of Canadians with ME.

Even something simple like: Thanks for hearing ME patients' unmet health care and research needs.

Email:

Hon.Jane.Philpott@Canada.ca

Twitter:

@JanePhilpott

Attachments

• Patient Perspective - Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.pdf
    101.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Wasaga Beach medal.jpg
    Wasaga Beach medal.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

Old Bones

Hi Scott,

I thought of you numerous times yesterday, wondering how things were going . . . and hoping that it won't take you too long to recover from the intense mental exertion, and the demands of travel. If you felt a supporting hand on your shoulder, it may have been mine.

Thanks again for "putting yourself out there". Good job!

shannah

Excellent @ScottTriGuy ! A very powerful Canadian testimony and voice for us!

I too am preparing something for my MP in response to the Breakfast invitation extended by the National ME/FM Action Network. Good opportunity to include something further as @waiting has alluded to.

ScottTriGuy

what do you recommend as the best way for my MP to support Minister Philpott & Dr. Kancir?

Thanks!

I'm partial to sound bytes cause they're easy to remember - that's why I like 'stop the harm, start the research, start the treatment' - I think captures - but any positive, civil response would be helpful.

ETA: I think if your MP indicates they have ME patients in need of health care and research, would reinforce our concerns.

ScottTriGuy

How did Dr Kancir appear to respond to you? What about Min Philpott?

The meeting was only with Dr. Kancir - he seemed to empathize with my narrative, and receptive to learning more about the illness - he indicated that physician groups were outside the jurisdictional boundary of the Ministry - he also expressed concern about jurisdictional boundaries with the CIHR.

Problem is we've been trying to change those institutions approach to ME for decades to little avail, and they've failed to self-correct.

panckage

Thanks Scott!
Following email sent to Dr. Philpott:

Hi as someone with living with myalgic encephalomyelitis I want to thank you for hearing about our plight with this awful disease. Dealing with doctors who don't believe in this disease has been very disheartening and demoralizing. I hope there is a chance that equitable research funding for this horrible disease can finally be realized.

Kati

Patient in training
@ScottTriGuy, @Kati, @Old Bones -- way to go -- excellent work!!

As I prepare to ask for an appointment with my MP to draw their attention to National ME/FM Action Network's invitation to the Parliamentary breakfast in Ottawa on May 19th, what do you recommend as the best way for my MP to support Minister Philpott & Dr. Kancir?

Thanks!
Tell your story. Speak about the neglect, how the lack of research affects you. Speak of the stigma. Speak of missed career, and how there are over 400 000 like you, where only 100,000 (25%) of us is able to work and 100,000 (25%) is housebound and bedbound with no health care.

Last edited:

waiting

Tell your story. Speak about the neglect, how the lack of research affects you. Speak of the stigma. Speak of missed career, and hw there are over 400 000 like you, where only 100,000 of us is able to work a d 100,000 is housebound and bedbound with no health care.

Yes, I definitely will speak about these important things -- it's what I did with my previous MP for the 2013 breakfast...

he indicated that physician groups were outside the jurisdictional boundary of the Ministry - he also expressed concern about jurisdictional boundaries with the CIHR.

... however, as @ScottTriGuy mentioned above, what, specifically, can an MP can do about the jurisdictional issues (e.g. are we talking a bill presented to parliament)?

I'm wondering what specific action an MP, representing constituents who have ME like us, can take, at least re: CIHR? A PR member recently (so sorry, can't recall who) discussed how the US works differently from other countries (i.e., if I understood correctly, they were saying in the US, speaking to a congress member can result in action by NIH).

So, the question is: do our Canadian MP's have the same power with CIHR? (Canadian Institute for Health Research) If not power per se, what can an MP specifically do on our behalf?

(add: if the MP's attend the breakfast, I assume the National ME/FM Action Network will tell them what they are being asked to do! :)I'm just wondering if we can emphasize the message when we contact our MP's to invite them.)

Last edited: