Surprisingly good outcomes for people who get ME/CFS after Mononucleosis (Glandular Fever)
Sometimes ME/CFS emerges after mononucleosis, or glandular fever. Simon McGrath shares results from a long-term follow-up study from Haukeland University Hospital in Norway...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Can you settle an argument regarding where to inject B12?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Ayaju, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Ayaju

Ayaju *****

San Diego, CA
    I'm going to start doing the Methyl B12 self-injections and there's an argument going on on my Facebook post. Some say it is crucial to inject the muscle and others say it's crucial Not to inject the muscle.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Judy

If you have FB you should be able to see this if you're curious: https://www.facebook.com/judy.actonayala?hc_location=timeline

2. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Just off the top of my head (and its foggy) I inject B12 with SC needles ie. those used for insulin injections. Therefore only into the top layer of skin, anywhere, usually thighs, belly etc.
    IM injections are something else. Different needles etc.

justy likes this.
  3. Ayaju

Ayaju *****

San Diego, CA
    Hmm. So you don't insert the entire needle, @maryb?

4. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    The needles go all the way in.

5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Everything I've read (and my doctor's prescription) says it should be intramuscular. But a lot of doctors won't prescribe it for their patients to do themselves, so they end up doing it subcutaneously. The nurses at my GP's office showed me how to do it intramuscularly a couple times, and now I do it myself at home.

A larger amount of fluid feels a helluva lot nicer in the muscle than under the skin, but it requires a much bigger needle. The location (muscle versus fat) also determines how quickly it disperses. People doing it subcutaneously have reported very long-term pink spots at the injection site :p

So basically do it intramuscular if you can, but subcutaneous is better than nothing.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    Mij likes this.
  6. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I think it depends on how much you're injecting as well, I use BD micro fine needles .5 or 1ml.
    Sometimes it goes in like a hot knife through butter and other times ouch!!

justy likes this.
  7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

For what it's worth, my CFS doc says it should be intramuscolar. Don't do this without training though (hitting a nerve is bad).

Mij and Valentijn like this.
  8. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    I used sub cue also using HB12 10,000 mcg/ml. 3 ml per Cheney

9. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Here is one take on it: subcu acts sort of like a time release. Some doctors seem to recommend one way and some the other.

I do it subcut in the stomach with 1/2 inch, 30 gauge needles. Pull up a big pinch of fat/flesh and inject straight down. I use hydrox. Note: in the stomach it must be below the navel an inch or two--below and to the side works best for me.

Sushi

justy likes this.
  10. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    I always did it in my hip. Plenty of fat there!

11. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    subcut no more then 1ml, if its greater then 1ml then intramuscular and to be comfortable up to 3mls. Can do 5 mls IMI in the thigh generally speaking.
    Upper outer thigh is the location.
    Subcut can be done into belly fat but make sure u have someone show u?
    Needle size for subcut is 25g to 27g , the higher the number the smaller the needle.
    For imi 23g is fine. insert the needle all the way leaving say 1ml outside the skin, they say this just incase there is an accidental needle breakage and its easier to retrieve the needle. 25yrs of doing this im yet to see it break off?

Sushi, Valentijn and minkeygirl like this.
  12. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    I was told to do sub cut and taught how by a nurse - really easy to do, not painful and no red lumps. I did daily injections at only half the amount prescribed as I was sensitive to the effects, so perhaps not a lot in amount of liquid.

I don't really fancy injecting myself into muscle - bet it hurts like hell.

13. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

More than a blood draw or iv drip, but only a little bit.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    Valentijn likes this.
  14. Helen

Helen Senior Member

15. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I like it better than my subcutaneous injections. There aren't any nerves getting hit by the intramuscular injection, whereas there's pretty much always nerves nearby for the subcutaneous injection. The straight-in angle for intramuscular is easier for me than the 45 degree stuff too :p

The muscle can hurt afterward, but usually just if I poke it.

16. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    That's interesting - I was never told I needed a specific angle or anything or warned about nerves. I just grab a bit of fat on hip and stick it in. Mostly it doesn't hurt at all, but some times it seems to hurt a bit wherever you try and get it in.

17. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Whether or not it hurts can be a gauge of inflammation--discovered this through GcMAF therapy. :p

Sushi

See more popular forum discussions.