1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Mighty Egg: New Life Springs Forth Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith finds that even with ME/CFS, new life as symbolized by the mighty egg, can still spring forth ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Can you identify what this skin condition is?

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by Solo, Oct 20, 2012.

1. triffid113

triffid113 Day of the Square Peg

Michigan
    I get those marks also but only when inflammed/retaining water, which as I get older is most of the time. I first realized I retain water all over when I tried DMSO on a significant portion of my body (for PMS) and found it took down swelling ALL OVER (I mean that there WAS swelling to take down ALL OVER). I am allergic to all sorts of things and allergies will make me retain water and frankly make me drink tons to wash it out of my system. But I also wonder if water retention might have something to do with not getting enough magnesium, since the urea cycle requires magnesium. I don't know.
    Solo likes this.
  2. Solo

Solo

Hi, triffid! Thanks for your reply.

Just so I'm clear. When you took DMSO, you found relief from the skin markings and water retention? I had wondered for some time if this was some kind of hyper-hydration or water retention.

Have you tried magnesium for this or other related symptoms? Did it help?
  3. triffid113

triffid113 Day of the Square Peg

Michigan
    Solo, I will have to try DMSO again and tell you. It definitely takes down swelling and in so doing eliminates tissue hypoxia (swelling cuts off blood flow) and thus lowers or eliminates pain.

I have to tell you I am having serious thoughts about water retention on account of because my father is in kidney dialysis (and not doing well). It is making me think alot about my own water retention issues. I have 3 genetic defects to do with creating and using BH4 (tetrahydrobiopterin) such that my levels will be low (I have not actually tested my biopterin levels, but I ordered the test for my father from Metametrix). To make urea / get rid of ammonia, the body requires BH4, magnesium, and thyroxin, among other things (these being the 3 things you can change). BH4 is available OTC (I get it from www.heartfixer.com) or as a prescription called kuvan, magnesium can be taken as a supplement or rubbed in as an oil (heartfixer gave me magnesium oil for my blood pressure), and thryoid levels can be improved with sufficient methylcobalamin, iodine, selenium, zinc, iron, tyrosine and perhaps a few other things (I think I read manganese?). If you eat a low protein diet or yu are on a diet, you need tyrosine pills to keep your thyroid from turning off//down and probably also zinc (protein foods are the main source of zinc). TSH should be <2.0.

My Dad has been crying over how tight his elastic bands are because he is retaining a mountain of water so that even the clothes 2x bigger than he is are hurting him. And I think back to the fact that all my life I could not stand elastic because of swelling, how I had to have my wedding right enlarged 2x to accomodate finger swelling (my fingers did not change size, just sometimes), etc. I eat a low protein diet but if I get on a kick to improve my nutritional status and eat more protein (80g, not a lot) the waste product of protein is ammonia I don't make enough BH4 to get rid of it easily. So...

magnesium may help you get rid of water. It may require improvement of thyroid function. But if that is not enough it may require more BH4. methylfolate and vitamin C and estrogen all raise BH4. (BUt I have to caution that medical science says that vitamin C causes oxolate kidney stones and can ruin your kidneys. I take 2 g but people have ruined their kidneys on much less). You can buy BH4, it is not cheap. I take DHEA to make estrogen to raise BH4. One of the guys here on PR says that peroxynitrite (ONOO) destroys BH4. So antioxidants (especially if you know they work against ONOO) help maintain BH4 levels.

I do not know why DMSO gets rid of inflammation. It has two methyls (so must be like SAMe), a sulfur, and an oxygen. Sulfur is very penetrating and drags the oxygen and the methyls deep into the body where they are needed. Methyls turn on or off chemical reactions. maybe something in the urea cycle needs to be methylated. I'll try the DMSO again and get back to you. I honestly never watched the read marks, I only watched the swelling go down.

See more popular forum discussions.