1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

can you herx viral infections?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by anniekim, Apr 29, 2012.

1. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    i know you can experience herx with antibiotics when killing off bacteria, but sorry if this is a daft question but is there such a thing as viral toxins too? Can you herx whilst eradicating virus'? Many thanks in advance
  2. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Antivirals don't cause herx reactions because they don't kill viruses, they stop them from replicating. The infected cells have to die off naturally, so the rate of production of dead material is not as high as you can get with antibiotics (or more specifically, antibacterials). It's the excessive volume of bacterial debris that causes the herx effect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herxheimer_reaction

Perhaps if you are taking something that increases your body's to kill virally infected cells, then maybe you could have enough cellular debris to cause a herx-type reaction...?

There has been some talk of antivirals used for chronic viral infections may result in IRIS-type reactions. That can make you feel seriously crappy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immune_reconstitution_inflammatory_syndrome
    taniaaust1 likes this.
  3. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Thanks Soc, much appreciated. I read a doctor talking about viral toxins which took me by surprise as I was only aware of bacterial debris. Your reply was very helpful

See more popular forum discussions.