1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Can we be piggy-backed onto studies for other diseases?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by CJB, Jul 12, 2012.

1. CJB

CJB Senior Member

Oregon
    When cohorts are selected for research into other fatiguing diseases, is it possible to piggy-back a small ME/CFS cohort along for the ride?
    ggingues likes this.
  2. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Interesting idea, I wonder what the drawbacks would be? Would this just muddy waters more so?

GG
  3. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Would the fatiging illnesses be the best ones to piggyback on? Not sure what fatguing illnesses you mean and if ME and CFS would have enough in common to give meaningful results.

A while back I was at a talk given by a HIV/AIDS doc who spoke about new research into the gut of PWAIDS. They were looking at the idea of a leaky gut. Maybe these would be better to piggyback on to?

Also auto-immune diseases and drugs used to treat them? If there was a cohort of PWME and CFS then maybe we would find useful drugs to treat us as well.
    taniaaust1 likes this.
  4. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Conversely, as if it couldn't get much worse, research into other "fatiguing" states is being piggybacked by CFS funding, much of which isn't even being spent on CFS specifically but other vaguely related studies. Some of what has occurred even sounds like it borders into misappropriation (http://www.cfsuntied.com/files/NIHCFSfunding3292011rev.pdf).
    Snow Leopard likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.