• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can stress an anxiety cause Pem.

I was thinking ever since I got ill I have been having panic attacks and just so scared and stressed from the symptoms and unknown. Is it possible that this can be just as draining as excersizing? From what I remember from getting bad anxiety or stress before I got ill I could be more tired then if I were to play hockey all day so maybe it applies post health

Skippa

Anti-BS
Yes I believe so, it takes extra energy, gets the systems all revved up, and releases (possibly) chemicals that exacerbate the condition. That's how I explain it to myself, because stress and anxiety can cause me to crash.

(A small part of me even thinks ME/CFS could be a cortisol intolerance).

hellytheelephant

Hi @nikefourstar -I'm so sorry to hear about your panic attacks- really unpleasant. I think that many of us find we suffer from depression/anxiety...and this would probably be the case for anyone suffering from a serious life limiting illness without a prescribed cure. It is also my experience that ME can make emotional states more volatile, so it will improve the quality of your life significantly if you can address this. It is important to recognise you have a problem and get some help- whether that be counselling, meditation, or medication. This is one part of ME that we do have some power to do something about!
Re your question about PEM: anything that is regularly stressing your body out is going to leave you feeling shattered.

JaimeS

Yes I believe so, it takes extra energy, gets the systems all revved up, and releases (possibly) chemicals that exacerbate the condition. That's how I explain it to myself, because stress and anxiety can cause me to crash.

(A small part of me even thinks ME/CFS could be a cortisol intolerance).

Some new research implies as much. I think I'll be writing about it, soon.

-J

TrixieStix

I was thinking ever since I got ill I have been having panic attacks and just so scared and stressed from the symptoms and unknown. Is it possible that this can be just as draining as excersizing? From what I remember from getting bad anxiety or stress before I got ill I could be more tired then if I were to play hockey all day so maybe it applies post health
yes PEM is caused by not only phsyical exertion but also cognitive and emotional exertion.

gregh286

Yes as it causes a fight or flight situation and quite taxing on adrenals and energy system.

ash0787

not really, not acute PEM unless you are in severe condition already.
It will drain you over time though just the same as if you did too much aerobic activity like walking around the house, cleaning, hoovering etc but particularly sexual activity. Thats why when I started getting panic a few monthes ago I turned to drugs immediately even though I am generally against medicating for that sort of thing as I knew I couldn't afford to endure it for long enough to solve it in the conventional way.

I guess its different for everyone but cognitive and emotional/social stimulation are equally likely as physical exertion to cause PEM for my teenage son. In fact I think the most difficult thing that takes the most energy is making decisions. Social occasions requiring engaging in conversation also trigger PEM more than walking/gentle swimming.