• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can someone help me find deficiencies by nutrient?

I know I've seen this referred to several times, but I can't for the life of me find it now. I'm looking for something to put up on my fridge to help me as I proceed with Freddd's Protocol.

I've found this: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/b-12-the-hidden-story.142/page-2#post-2588, but I think this is a list for all of those nutrients combined.

Here's what I've gathered so far, if anyone's interested, I think what I'm really missing is MeCbl.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/185SnpyTZX5NsvkGcaeL_IL6v3WK2hTTbxgju5mRzepw/edit?usp=sharing

South

@sheclimber Are you looking for info on any nutrient, or only those recommended on Freddd's protocol? I'm not sure if this helps, but here's a basic page from Merck (a mainstream, non-alternative minimalistic source of info at best, though). It lists vitamins, click at the top of the page on any of the vitamin names for basic symptoms of deficiency.
http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/disorders_of_nutrition/vitamins/overview_of_vitamins.html

Your spreadsheet of what you've gathered so far is great, I'll be printing out what you have so far!

Thank you @South and @Gondwanaland for chiming in. I'm looking specifically for symptoms of MeCbl, AdoCbl, and Methlyfolate deficiency as the apply to Freddd's protocol. Effectively something that says, "If you're experiencing symptoms like these ____, then it's time to increase folate (or potassium, or B12)."

I think what I have for folate and potassium is pretty good, my big question is how might one know if they are in a methyl trap? I understand that you're alternating between folate and B12 deficiency symptoms, but I'm not clear on what the short-term B12 deficiency symptoms might be.

Maybe it'll just be apparent as I go through it.

From the resources each of you recommended, maybe these are possibilities to add to the list:
  • paleness
  • weakness
  • fatigue
  • shortness of breath
  • dizziness
  • numbness and tingling in hands and feet
  • severe fatigue
  • confusion
  • poor memory
  • depression
  • loss of appetite
  • weight loss
  • sore tongue
  • headaches
  • nausea

Gondwanaland

Take a look at the chart in this thread. It might give you some insight
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...bolism-simplified-chart-and-b-vitamins.34375/

Freddd has years of experience with methylation. My (so far unsuccessful) experience is only of 11 months. Having said that, I did track some of these symptoms to other personal specific deficencies:
  • paleness - B1 deficiency
  • weakness - B1 deficiency
  • fatigue - still puzzeled by this one, but possibly folate + minerals/electrolytes
  • shortness of breath - B2 and B6 deficiency + salycilate intolerance + serotonin syndrome + hyper/ hypothyroid
  • dizziness - didn't have it
  • numbness and tingling in hands and feet - didn't have it, but possibly B6 deficiency or overdose
  • severe fatigue - I think I had it, but don't know the specific cause
  • confusion - hypothyroid/ low B12
  • poor memory - hypothyroid/ low B12
  • depression - excess ammonia (from high folate and possibly low B2)
  • loss of appetite - B1 deficiency
  • weight loss - B1 deficiency
  • sore tongue - hypothyroid, low/high B2
  • headaches - didn't have it
  • nausea - didn't have it
Looking at the chart I posted on the other thread it's easy to see how B1, B2 and B3 indeed increase the need for potassium:

B2 is intimately related to folate in the Energy metabolism (increased folate increases the need for potassium)
B1 is intimately related to potassium anyway (see beriberi disease)
B3 is intimately related to B1 in the Energy metabolism (increased B3 increases the need for potassium)

Critterina

Here is my input, also, just from my experience or what I read
  • numbness and tingling in hands and feet - I understand this as B6 overdose or B12 deficiency (not necessarily both)
  • paleness (and coldness) - I needed NADH, D-ribose
  • shortness of breath - for me this was histamine intolerance, an odd expression of it, but that's what it is.

Thanks @Gondwanaland @Critterina for your input. clearly this is going to be a highly individualized process, but there are so many moving parts it makes things so daunting. Currently i'm confused enough just trying to sort out MeCbl, Methylfolate and Potassium. The thought of tweaking the doses of all my other B-vitamins kinda makes me want to nap, which is pretty much what I did all last week.

So far the Potassium symptoms are pretty obvious - I start getting cramps. Turn out Potassium Citrate gives me heartburn if I take it alone, but not if I take Magnesium. but I'm ordering some Potassium Gluconate nonetheless.

I'm sorry to hear @Gondwanaland that you're methylation experience has been unsuccessful. I'm already having some pretty profound positive effects, but maybe it's just the honeymoon period that everyone speaks about.

The symptoms I've having now that I haven't yet sorted out are:
  • acne (which was nearly gone when I started, I think thanks to some gut healing)
  • canker sores
  • a little peeling of the skin around my nose
  • loose stool
From what I understand, all those could be folate insufficiency (though the loose stool probably isn't helped by all the magnesium). I skipped my B-complex and increased my folate today, and they don't seem to be getting worse (I have lots of experience with canker sores, so I can usually tell if they're headed towards healing or worsening). I think I'll do the same tomorrow and see if the improvement.

This is such a crazy experiment. I am so grateful for the people who spend time here so others can be helped from their experience.

Interesting resource @Gondwanaland, it seems there are lots of starting places there for sleuthing out deficiency symptoms.

And I believe that lysine is recommended for cold sores, which are caused by the herpes virus. Canker sores are something different.

I guess I need to start a deficiency list that goes beyond B12, Potassium and Folate.

Critterina

@sheclimber , have you checked out the amino acid interpretation guide that Genova Diagnostics has online? Other labs can do the test and you and your doctor can look at what might be the case and how to treat nutritional deficiencies.

My own amino acids have improved a whole lot in the last 2 years, as has my health. Just recently I had a test. I noticed that my essential amino acids were mostly in the 10%-30% of the range except for two which were high (76% and 94% of their respective ranges). Another amino acid was near the bottom of the range. What the three had in common was that the next conversion steps depended on Vitamin C and iron. I take 2000 mg Vitamin C daily, but no iron. I don't think it's worth going back and taking a test to see if my iron is starting to falter. Instead, I'll just add a little iron-rich food to my diet and see if it's better next time.

@Critterina, I've had the amino acid test, though I have had the Genova Diagnostics Full Hormone Panel (which indicated adrenal fatigue even though my cortisol panel was close to normal.) I've also had the Health Diagnostics Methylation Panel, which is how I discovered this forum (researching how to interpret it). All but 3 of those markers fit what Rich describes for people with CFS. I don't yet know what my practitioner thinks of my results (he's hard to get an appointment with), I decided not to wait for him to start supporting methylation. I figured the more info I have the next time I see him the better. We meet this week, and I suspect him to say something like: "How much B12 did you say you were taking?!?!?!?" I'm feeling great, so I hope he has an open mind :)

Gondwanaland

I was going through my notes for 2015 and I think I have tracked some symptoms back to some nutrient excess:
Hard skin around fingernails: excess methyldonors
Hard, dry and breakable fingernails: I think it is when there is even more methyl groups than above.