• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

can someone explain organ damage to me?

Aerose91

This last crash i had a few months ago seems to have done some significant damage. Ive had raging hypoglycaemia from that instant on and it has not resolved at all despite me trying absolutely everything. Now because of the lack of sleep my M.E. is steadilly progressing downhill and i can not stop it, along with serious sleep deprivation. Im wondering if the last crash damaged my pancreas or liver, but how does organ damage work with us? Is it mitochondria damage in each organ that only gets worse with over exertion? Is there ever a chance of this repairing?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I cannot explain organ damage. I do know that hypoglycemia does nasty things to your organs. It has been a few years since I read up on hypoglycemia, so I cannot recall the details; but I was surprised at just how bad it is for the body. I'm fairly sure that the liver takes a bad hit. Probably the pancreas and maybe the adrenals, as well. Hypoglycemia also wrecks havoc on sleep.

Sugar is not the long-term solution for hypoglycemia. It will bring your blood sugar up quickly, but it will also cause the release of a lot of insulin which will bring your blood sugar right back down. You need protein, fat, and complex carbohydrates to maintain an even blood sugar level. When I was having low blood sugar problems, once I ate something with sugar, I had 20 minutes to get some protein/fat/complex carb down or I would be right back in trouble, possibly worse trouble.

Aerose91

Im pretty sure my hypoglycaemia is a result of organ damage rather than the cause of it, or more so a catch 22.

I eat a very good hypoglycaemic diet and had it perfectly under control until i overexerted a couple months ago, then it hit me like a freight train literally overnight. since then i havent been able to get it under control no matter what i do which is making me think my liver or pancreas took a big hit.

taniaaust1

Have you had a 2hr glucose tollerance test with insulin included to make sure that your hypoglycemia isnt being caused by hyperinsulinemia happening? If you havent I suggest you do so. A diet for hyperinsulinemia is a bit different in some ways then a diet for hypoglycemia. If you do have insulin issues, these often do get worst with time and your diet may need adjusting for that.

Organ damage in ME, different organs may get damaged by different things eg my kidneys were starting to be damaged due to low blood volume and then dehydration putting strain onto them. I guess low blood volume could affect other organs too, maybe that would mean a bit less oxygen going to organs????

Where as my bowel was being damaged (it prolapsed) due to it not being as functional.. and then the lack of function caused issues. Why did it stop functioning right? Ive not a clue but it was to do with peristalisis not working right (IBS-C which then was made worst by drug side affect).

My liver must not be working right as its the cause of my very high cholestrol. Something going on with my pancreas and hence my insulin issues and Im going to end up diabetic. Thou I dont relate those two things to my ME.

It would be interesting to know what causes organ damage and not functioning right organs.

Last edited:

Aerose91

How is hyperinsulinemia different from diabetes? Just a predecessor? I recently got some basic blood work done and they said i showed hypoglycaemia but not diabetes- thats just a basic test tho and not a glucose tolerance.

I find myself wondering if further mitochondria damage is the reason for organ damage. Since that seems to be the central role here it woukd make sense to me..... lower blood volume does as well though.

It really sucks to eat such a perfect diet and still be heading toward being diabetic and theres nothing you can do about it.

Leopardtail

Have you had a 2hr glucose tollerance test with insulin included to make sure that your hypoglycemia isnt being caused by hyperinsulinemia happening? If you havent I suggest you do so. A diet for hyperinsulinemia is a bit different in some ways then a diet for hypoglycemia. If you do have insulin issues, these often do get worst with time and your diet may need adjusting for that.

Organ damage in ME, different organs may get damaged by different things eg my kidneys were starting to be damaged due to low blood volume and then dehydration putting strain onto them. I guess low blood volume could affect other organs too, maybe that would mean a bit less oxygen going to organs????

Where as my bowel was being damaged (it prolapsed) due to it not being as functional.. and then the lack of function caused issues. Why did it stop functioning right? Ive not a clue but it was to do with peristalisis not working right (IBS-C which then was made worst by drug side affect).

My liver must not be working right as its the cause of my very high cholestrol. Something going on with my pancreas and hence my insulin issues and Im going to end up diabetic. Thou I dont relate those two things to my ME.

It would be interesting to know what causes organ damage and not functioning right organs.
Tania,

I have been researching this stuff quite heavily, and have set up a group & thread for people who have ME and either one of diabetes or hypoglycaemia.
Please feel welcome to join it so I can start giving answers to this stuff in one place.

Link here.

L.

Radio

Tania,

I have been researching this stuff quite heavily, and have set up a group & thread for people who have ME and either one of diabetes or hypoglycaemia.
Please feel welcome to join it so I can start giving answers to this stuff in one place.

Link here.

L.

Answers? Check out my threads...

How-i-Recovered-from-CFS-part-2

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/how-i-recovered-from-cfs-part-2.28684/

H-pylori-Dysbiosis-Liver-Connection

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...genetic-environmental-liver-connection.28937/

Last edited:

Leopardtail

Radio,

I was referring specifically to the issue concerning blood sugar management and insulin. CFS has several direct methods of messing up glucose/Insulin metabolism, hence setting up a separate thread for it.

L.