• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

can someone correct statement in this list

taniaaust1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_chronic_fatigue_syndrome Being not on that main CFS page I assume this wrong statement probably could be easily fixed by anyone who does editing on wiki. (Ive forgotten my password and what name I used to use there and havent been able to do things there for ages).

The statement which bothers me is the thing there for Sophia Miza which says "Only person ever reported as dying from CFS".. its that "only" word. The most well known ME/CFS death or First recognised UK death from ME/CFS (or something like that that rather then stating only one person has ever died from this ill).

Anyway, I hope someone can correct so people reading that dont come to think that only one person has ever died from this.

Sophia was not the first person in the UK whose death certificate stated CFS as a cause of death. The first case, a male patient, did not get much publicity, and I am sorry but I cannot find his name. Perhaps another member can provide that information.

For general information on the deaths of people suffering from ME:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16844674

Health Care Women Int. 2006 Aug;27(7):615-26.

Causes of death among patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.
Jason LA1, Corradi K, Gress S, Williams S, Torres-Harding S.

Author information

Abstract

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a debilitating illness affecting thousands of individuals. At the present time, there are few studies that have investigated causes of death for those with this syndrome. The authors analyzed a memorial list tabulated by the National CFIDS Foundation of 166 deceased individuals who had had CFS. There were approximately three times more women than men on the list. The three most prevalent causes of death were heart failure, suicide, and cancer, which accounted for 59.6% of all deaths. The mean age of those who died from cancer and suicide was 47.8 and 39.3 years, respectively, which is considerably younger than those who died from cancer and suicide in the general population. The implications of these findings are discussed.

PMID: 16844674

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ‘In Memorium’ list of deaths of people suffering from ME/CFS:

http://www.ncf-net.org/memorial.htm

Last edited:
Wikipedia has sucessfully avoided including the presence of a Page on 'Myalgic Encephalomyelitis'.

People with ME are at a distinct disadvantage when it come to engaging with Wikipedia editing.
I have never come anywhere near being able to edit Wikipedia because my cognitive disabilities in learning new procedures, complex cognitive disabilities relating to processing visual information, and the complexity of the Wikipedia editing procedures. I think that is why some people with ME ask if others can edit the Page, because they cannot themselves do it.

If discussion about editing a Wikipedia entry away from Wikipedia editing areas is against Wikipedia rules, that would exclude numerous cognitively disabled people (many diverse patient and disabled populations who cannot themselves edit), from discussing the Wikipedia entries with view to others editing them on the cognitively disabled persons' behalf. It could be argued as a disability rights issue.

Last edited: