Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Can probiotics influence microbiota composition? A review of randomized controlled trials

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by A.B., Jul 1, 2016.

1. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Alterations in fecal microbiota composition by probiotic supplementation in healthy adults: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials
    http://genomemedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13073-016-0300-5

I do wonder if things might be different in sick adults. Still it doesn't look good.

TiredSam, MEMum, ScottTriGuy and 3 others like this.
  2. Skippa

Skippa Senior Member

Any similar trials for prebiotics?

3. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    The results don't surprise me at all. Most of the commonly used probiotic species are not ones that colonise the gut, nor do they reflect the composition of the gut flora.

This doesn't mean that probiotics do nothing. They do exert effects on the immune system as they transit through the gut and probably play a role in crowding out other (undesirable) species.

There have been a number of studies showing that prebiotics do indeed influence the composition of the gut flora. I am not aware of a comprehensive review though I haven't particularly looked for one. Maybe someone else has come across one.

ahmo and Skippa like this.

See more popular forum discussions.