The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Can positivity cure any disease? (blogpost)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

justy, Obermann, Binkie4 and 16 others like this.
  2. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

It can cure negativity. It can also "cure" a doctor from having to listen to his patient's symptoms by falsely explaining them away. Problem is that believing alternative facts leads to failure.

Obermann, Mel9, HowToEscape? and 9 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Denying reality is never a viable long term strategy.

Binkie4, Dolphin, Valentijn and 9 others like this.
  4. Demepivo

Demepivo Dolores Abernathy

Anil van der Zee is a legend...

justy, Skycloud, Comet and 5 others like this.
  5. jstash

jstash Senior Member

Haven't read the entire piece as it's quite the eyeful but...has anyone bar new age healers etc ever actually said that positivity can cure illnesses? Help, maybe. But outside of a few people wanting to make a quick buck from this sort of thinking I feel like it's a bit of a straw man.

6. keenly

keenly Senior Member

UK
    It precedes any improvement.

7. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    well, not "cure", but many people believe that not believing that a said treatment (eg: some drug) will help you, could cause said treament to FAIL, which is totally bogus. When one of my family members sugested that a treatment was not helping me because I didn´t believe in it, I just said "if you don't believe a cianide pill will kill you, would you survive taking it?"

pattismith, alex3619, Binkie4 and 5 others like this.
  8. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

well put, you must be reading my thoughts :woot:
    it works well short term, and politicians have turned it into a viable strategy employing scapegoats to explain the failure of lies to pan out. This has many parallels with PACE...

Mel9 and Sean like this.
  9. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

Deny deny deny, deny deny and die.
    Problem solved!

Sean and lauluce like this.
  10. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    no more problems indeed

11. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    Hip looked at something similar to this topic in this thread.

12. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

My illness lead my brain to negativity,
    give me medications that cure my illness, and I will be very positive :)

alex3619 and Tammy like this.
  13. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia
    Positivity helps patients reject negativity by others (eg doctors 'there is nothing wrong with you' ) and search (eg in PR) for supplements (eg CoQ10, vit B etc) that might help alleviate some symptoms, even if they are not an actual cure.

Positivity allows us to accept that we are ill and need to Pace ourselves so that we have a little energy left over for the occasional pleasures of life: being with our loved ones, spending time in nature, reading a book.

Positivity also tells me to be grateful for what I have because there are so many severely ill me cfs patients who never have any 'energy left over'

PatJ and pattismith like this.
  14. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    On a TV programme a while ago, I heard a doctor mention as a throwaway comment that "they've found that laughter improves your immune system."

I've heard this a lot — I'm sure we all have. Does anyone know if it has a credible scientific foundation?

15. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    There are huge industries based on this "straw man". This includes NLP based programs and CBT based programs. In the UK there are government clinics that follow this line. Its not a straw man argument. It is an argument about a subset of positive thinking advocates.

Skycloud likes this.
  16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Can positive thinking cure disease? I am positive it cannot. ;)

justy likes this.
  17. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Positivity is a coping strategy. Laughter is in the same category. In hospitals they have entertainment systems for people who are dying. Its about coping. So is CBT.

justy, Skycloud and Sean like this.
  18. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

:rofl:

In Evidence Based Medicine the argument was raised that that sometimes answers are just so obvious you don't need an RCT. Otherwise we should be running randomised controlled trials on the efficacy of parachutes from high altitude. Who wants to sign up?

lauluce, Orla, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  19. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Let me also add that pessimism and negativity are ALSO coping strategies. They are frequently also better coping strategies. It depends on the circumstances.

Orla, justy and Sean like this.
  20. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    LOL. Not me, but I can think of a few people to nominate.

The claim I heard recently about laughter and immunity was from Mirriam Stoppard in the second series of The Real Marigold Hotel, out in India. What interested me was that in the same programme she was banging on about the importance of evidence in medicine and how she couldn't recommend any treatment for which there was no evidence. Then she said "They've found that laughter improves your immunity", as though it were beyond dispute (and yes, she used the 'they' authority reference).

I thought it interesting that a GP (OK, for years a TV doctor but still a trained doctor) with an avowed commitment to evidence-based medicine, should seemingly be far less fastidious when it comes to anything involving the mind/body relationship. Maybe this is why doctors have been so willing to let BPS theories go unchallenged: anything involving the psyche seems to make even EBM devotees go a bit flakey.

See more popular forum discussions.