Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Can Overtraining Syndrome cause ME/CFS?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by md55, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Omri

Omri

Israel
    Same for me.

Marco likes this.
  2. Research 1st

Research 1st Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.

Can Overtraining Syndrome cause ME/CFS?

Answer:

No, but it may trigger it, depending on what you class 'it' as, as ME/CFS doesn't exist any more legitimately than MS/CFS. So to answer accurately you'd have to decide yourself what your ME or your CFS is, to be able to develop it!

Honestly, the simplistic question is as answerable as asking: can eating more than the average person make you fat? It all depends on your initial BMI, type of food ingested, calories, genetic profile, hormone levels etc.

So with ME or CFS it also depends as both have no diagnostic test.

Taking hypothetically:

*Exercise when run down can cause immunity to weaken
    *Infection and subsequent autoimmunity are linked.

Now add the components, including genetics, required to develop ME

Then yes, if your own ME or CFS is caused by persistent infection triggering autoimmunity, then theoretically yes.

If not, then no!

The same would apply for MS. If you were hammering yourself into the floor with exercise, and had an infection such as chronic EBV, that for reasons not known to science may be involved with CNS infiltration, HERV activation and so forth. Then theoretically with the right bad set of circumstances, infection mediated MS, may be triggered by overtraining syndrome in which a certain causative pathogen is able to take hold.

On a relevant topic many with severe ME were sporty first, and developed ME, or over-trained their sick bodies with GET (via CBT) and became permanently worse. If you have a mitochondrial infection and try and carry on with your life, even this becomes a state of over training, in the chronic metabolically injured.

3. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    I was a high level triathlete for over a decade before my first lapse with m.e. - my 2 subsequent relapses occurred during the 'off' season when my training was in the 'get fat and slow' phase.

4. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    I think training/working out/competing won't cause CFS/ME, but won't prevent it, either.

The bio-social-psych folks tend to blame it on deconditioning plus "faulty illness beliefs." If that were so, then no athletes would ever get it, as I think someone already pointed out.

Valentijn and SOC like this.
  5. butterfly7

butterfly7

Sunny Australia
    Well this thing is full on, I forget and get excited and started dancing to some music like i used to then i thought ill just pick up those light weights and do a few sit ups ,i thought i was going to die honestly ,i think ive got it now ,i also have salicylate and amine intolerances ,live off 10 foods, ate some fish the other day and again so debiltated, so all said and done shine like the sun people and love like a rainbow......what choice do we have but make the best of it ,and yeah was bedridden for 5 mths least i can walk about 50mtres now somedays......

6. OfcourseYouCanRevover

OfcourseYouCanRevover

Lo
    lol you playing a sport probably wasnt making your ibs worse. Why dont you try taking all emotional, physicaly and chemical stress out of your life

See more popular forum discussions.