Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Can mold cause MECFS by tricking the immune system to attack HERV's ?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by cigana, Jan 22, 2015.

1. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    I thought this idea was too good for it to get buried in another thread, so here's a new one I hope people could comment on.

@natasa778 found this evidence that a protein associated with the mold Aspergillus Niger is theoretically similar to the HERV-W envelope protein. In principle couldn't that cause an auto-immune reaction against the HERV? Perhaps there are other similarities we haven't yet identified between other molds and other HERVs.

In response to @Dufresne I mentioned why I think mold is involved in MECFS outbreaks:

@Valentijn had this to say about the reliability of the Uniprot database:

This study
    might be relevant, showing HERV proteins cause neuroinflammation.

jepps, leela and natasa778 like this.
  2. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

I think this finding, if true is quite interesting. Is there more info or more research being done on this?

3. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    I don't think there is any research being done on this. I guess it would be up to us to try to inform researchers of the possibility...

See more popular forum discussions.